Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Doc Links and Word Documents 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

akbryer

Programmer
Mar 25, 1999
US
Visit site
I have a client who is using Notes' document library. The client creates Word documents through the doc library, and wants to be able to doc link the word docs created through the Notes Template DB to other Word docs or other Notes docs and Notes docs to Word docs. Is there a way? <p>Gary (akbryer)<br><a href=mailto:Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com>Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

You want to create a doclink from Notes document to a Word .DOC file? How do you do that? <p>Eas Kwok<br><a href=mailto:eas@fnmail.com>eas@fnmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I hope I don't simplify a complicated situation too much, but generally you can doclink the Word doc created inside the document library from any Notes doc the usual way:<br>
<br>
1. select Word doc: &quot;edit&quot;, &quot;copy as shortcut&quot;<br>
2. new Notes doc elsewhere, content field: paste<br>
<br>
<br>
HTH,<br>
-Michael

Michael,<br>
<br>
Thanks so much. Your instructions worked. Now, is there a way to link Word doc to Word from within the Notes Doc Library? Please, Please, Please!<br>
<br>
Thanks again.<br>
<br>
Gary. <p>Gary (akbryer)<br><a href=mailto:Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com>Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Hi Gary,<br>
<br>
&gt;Thanks so much. Your instructions worked.<br>
<br>
I always like to help if possible :)<br>
<br>
&gt;Now, is there a way to link Word doc to Word from within the Notes Doc Library?<br>
<br>
I'm afraid it's only possible from Notes docs. <br>
Notes acts as data container for &quot;any&quot; data, Word just wasn't designed for this. At least with Notes 4.6.3a and Office 97 &quot;no SR-1/2&quot; (my desktop) there's no way, but I can't speak for Notes 5 and/or Office 2K <br>
<br>
Maybe you can create a Notes doc just for any needed links and shortcuts.<br>
<br>
Bye,<br>
-Michael

MichaelH, Good morning. I have been able to create links between Word 97 docs, but the process isn't clean (I get error messages and multiple opened copies of Word).<br>
<br>
I don't want to give up just yet.<br>
<br>
<p>Gary (akbryer)<br><a href=mailto:Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com>Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> <br>
<br>
Good deeds do not go unrewarded!

The only way I have been able to sort of achieve this is by creating a hot topic linked as a URL.

As long as you use the absolute path to the file location your browser should access the appropriate application to open the file.

It's not pretty and most users would not have the capabilities to do it but IT people should be ok.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back