Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do you think I have a virus???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

shirleyowl

Technical User
Jul 27, 2001
GB
I switched my 433 Intel Celeron 111with 2 physical drives of 30gb+8gb   Win ME on today and I had a message that `I had to reinstall my norton Antivirus  [2001 version but even so] , several other programmes had error messages too, Netscape Netscp error in JS3250.dll program will close, ICQ had no skin please reinstall, ypager.exe has changed or moved windows cannot find iexplore.exe
etc with other programs Serif dp6, Microsoft Office works, I could go on......

I re-installed NAV ran the updates several times [rebooting each time] then the last time it came up with the same message please re-install. My subscription has 15 days to go so I know that is not the problem. And I will be updating it completely
How on earth am I going to get rid of this problem.
I know there is at least one person out of this  great help site that will have the answer
Regards
Shirl[flowerface]ey
Learn something new every day.

If you do have a virus and it has compromised your Norton AV, reinstalling it won't do any good.

First thing to do if able, try some free online virus scanners which cannot be compromised by a local virus.

Otherwise, maybe one of the HDDs are dying or maybe you moved some files between the HDDs.

thank you Wheedoggy I will look into the off house virus checkers , or try system restore on my Win Me set up. I was just so worried when I tried re- installing it and then it failed again during updating the virus files.. thanks I already had bugbear last year which knocked out NAV but I have uninstalled and re-installed a video editing program too so maybe that is the problem.
Cheers
Shirley Learn something new every day.

Oh no I have a real problem I cannot access the internet from any of my programmes. netscape: Internet explorer: or out look express.
I can dial up but that is all.
Have you any suggestions I tried system restore but rec'd a message it was unable to restore my settings.
If I re-install WinMe, will it work. I upgraded it at the beginning of the month from 98. I thought I had saved my settings on the small 8gb drive but cant find anything there. I am at a loss as to what to do next. Luckily I have my iMac to get through to this site.
Look forward to some help here
Regards

It looks like you have been totally compromised
You may be able to reinstall the operating system and get some functionality back.

Make sure you copy out all of your data like documents or email addresses before you try it.

You will likely have to reinstall all of your programs even if this works.

I would like to see you get a boot disk that will virus scan your hard drive before you go too far with it.
If you need more help...pls post again. Kimber

The more I learn,I realize how much more there is to know!

Well I have just re-installed my ME but to no avail, everything that wasnt working before still is not working
How do I get a boot disk that will virus scan ?
I had all my data copied mostly because i had only installed ME a couple of weeks ago, My husband was having problems with his Pinnacle video programs and we thought it was because i had put my system back to 98. but that wasnt the problem, and we still do not know wha tit is. But first I have to get htis sorted out.

Drastic Measures.....

Open ME.
Save all sensitve data to second drive. Do not save executable files, or config data.
Reformat (low level) boot drive.
Reinstall ME (Personaly I would have stuck to 98 to begin with)
Reinstall all software.
Restore data from 2nd drive.

Remember, its easier to protect agains infection than to recover from it.

Good Luck
[noevil]

After you reinstalled ME...did you reinstall the programs?

As for the boot disk set that will allow you to scan, you have to make a set from a computer that already has the antivirus installed. ie: Norton provides this feature.

If you have done the above, and you are still stuck, the fastest recovery method is a format and reinstall of everything. Thankfully you arent looking at data loss...and that is great. Good for you for backing up your stuff.

Just for the record, I can echo the sentiment of the above post, ME gives lots of headaches....I still use 98/95/NT.

Good luck! Kimber

The more I learn,I realize how much more there is to know!

Well that is why I reverted to 98, it was only because my Hubby had problems with Pinnacle that we re-installed ME, I think I may have a boot set from my Norton when it was installed . so I will try that, and see what happens, else I will have to do what Vesselescape suggests.
But I dont think I have the original 98 disc, so will I be able to install ME, it is an upgrade, also could you be more specific about which sensitive data to save to my 8gb drive. I can uninstall pinnacle and leave that drive free should I use it for my system stuff only?? I had thought of installing a second OS such as Linux[ my son is a keen fan] any thoughts on that?
Thanks for the advice so far. much appreciated.
cheers
shirleyowl
Learn something new every day.

I believe you would need the Win98 CD, however if you still have your win98 code you can always use somebody elses CD and use your code for it.

Linux is a nice alternative operating system which I'd encourage anyone to try. Most of your windows programs won't work in it but there are alternatives.

shirleyowl

sensitive data = anything you can not recreate. eg:
email files, graphics files, database contents, mailing lists,
word processing docs, etc.

Reason not to save program dll files and executable files of any type: These are the files that are overwritten/modified/added during a successful intrusion attempt. Allowing these files to remain on the system can lead to re-infection.

Dual boot with linux has no downside that I can see, except for the learning curve (Get your son to help?)

When you get your system up again, please take the time to install some type of personal firewall, and learn how to use it. Plenty of discussion in this forum. Use to be practicing "safe-software" was enough to keep from being infected. In these days of standing dsl and cable connections, it it time for home users to start taking the same precautions as commercial networks. You are just as vulnerable (probably more so) and highly likely as a target for a port-scanning script-kiddie.

"Just cause your paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you"
[noevil]

HI and thanks, I will go for that, and install Linux,
My son will no doubt say I told you so, but never mind I can live with that!!!!!!
i used to have a firewall until I reinstalled ME but because I hardly ever used it to go surfing didnt bother to get another one, I only ran NAV, as I didnt think being on dial up was enough of a problem to get a firewall. I have one on my Mac, however I will go for them all again.
luckily I have most stuff backed up already as I only did it 2 weeks ago and havent used it for much except the video editing.
Thanks for all the input .I will keep you posted on my progress when it all works out or get back for more advice if it doesnt.
[wavey]

Shirl[flowerface]ey Learn something new every day.

I managed to get round this lack of Internet access with advice from my local Dixons one of the very helpful assistants suggested I buy a magazine with a CD containing Opera or similar on the cover disc.
REsult for £3.99 I am internet accessible again. Worth bearing in mind
However I still cannot get IE running I downloaded the update. but this did not fix the problem. where can I go to get this bit of the program? Or will I have to get the whole thing. I am only on dial up so these things take ages to download.

I downloaded PC-Cillin to virus check the computer before I did anything else as my NAV had stopped working too. and its a bit old now. The online version from them would not work for some reason there seemed to be a java problem. 'PC' also checked for trojans before installing as a 30 day trial. It didnt find any virus so I am also puzzled as to what I did that knocked out all these bits of programs.So f anyone has any ideas.
It wasn't just internet programs that went wrong Microssoft works and Drawplus also seemed to get deleted.
I know I reinstalled ME and had saved some of the programs to my D drive but I reinstalled DP6 and MSW so I dont think it had naything to do with that.
However I am willing to be corrected.

I would like to be able to run IE if possible.So if nayone has the answer it is here.

I am sure one of my trusted friends on this site will be able to help. [2thumbsup]
TIA
Shirl[flowerface]ey Learn something new every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back