Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do you think I have a virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

shirleyowl

Technical User
Jul 27, 2001
GB
I switched my 433 Intel Celeron 111with 2 physical drives of 30gb+8gb on today and I had a message that `I had to reinstall my norton Antivirus [2001 version but even so] , several other programmes had error messages too, Netscape Netscp error in JS3250.dll program will close, ICQ had no skin please reinstall, ypager.exe has changed or moved windows cannot find iexplore.exe
etc with other programs Serif dp6, Microsoft Office works, I could go on......
I re-installed NAV ran the updates several times rebooting each time] then the last time it came up with the same message please re-install. My subscription has 15 days to go so I know that is not the problem. And I will be updating it completely
How on earth am I going to get rid of this problem.
I know there is at least one person out of this great help site that will have the answer
Regards
Shirl[flowerfacce]ey Learn something new every day.

I think you would want to post this on the Norton AV forum and possibly on the general virus forum. More likely to get help in one of those. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Hi Shirley,
I don't know if this will cure your problem, but it may help. Check out these two links. Also, once you get up and running, and I hope this does work for you, you can always test your system for viruses with Housecall (an online virus detection program from Trend Micro)(PC cillin). Their products and info are the greatest. and Good luck and let us know if it worked.

Cyberboy
Computers are like snowflakes. No two are alike.

First, use System Restore to roll your computer back to a date to before when your computer worked right. Before the error(s) started occuring.

To start System Restore, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. Or, in the Help and Support main screen, click Use System Restore under Fix a problem.

Scan both drives on-line for virus, trojan or variant at
It doesn't sound like virus or other bad code but a software and/or hardware problem. Your Operating System could be corrupted and may need re-installed after HDD format or it could be a sign of Hard Drive (HDD) malfunction. Back all your sensitive data up to the non-operating system HDD or partition immediately.

Run a Thorough ScanDisk ASAP set like this:

Start ScanDisk; Check the Standard box; Check Automatically fix errors; click the Advanced button, the settings should be as follows - Display Summary - Always, Log File - Replace Log, Cross-Linked Files - Delete, Lost File Fragments - Free, Check Files For - check (Invalid File Names, Invalid Dates and Times) should be checked. Emachines, Celeron 600, 256 Mb RAM, 30 Gb HDD, ADSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back