Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do you run defrag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

11kumi11

IS-IT--Management
Apr 19, 2005
US
How many of you guys defrag your workstation or server on a regular basis? Do you use the one that came with Windows or do you have a third party program?

Perfect Disk offers a seperate utility to defrag Exchange databases since they are different. The regular version of perfect disk is pretty good as well. Diskkeeper is good too :)

I thought Exchange had its own defrag utility?

I'm not sure, to be honest I'm new to exchange, just started working with it recently. I just know that perfect disk offers that seperate utility, does anyone else know if exchange has its own utility for defragging?

Am an advocate of regular defragmentation of servers and workstations part of the system maintenance as it undoubtedly lends stability to the systems. A daily defrag which is possible with third party tools that have features to perform the task whenever required, in the background without affecting functions such as file access,would be ideal. As far as servers go, regular defrag=stability of the MFT and paging file. Servers are known to have much faster backups if they are defragmented regularly. A small price to pay for avoiding the nightmares of bootcrashes and freezes. It will definitely add years to the life of a workstation. My experience with Windows Defragger hasnt been too good though,it is a tedious task.

Am an advocate of regular defragmentation of servers and workstations part of the system maintenance as it undoubtedly lends stability to the systems. A daily defrag which is possible with third party tools that have features to perform the task whenever required, in the background without affecting functions such as file access,would be ideal. As far as servers go, regular defrag=stability of the MFT and paging file. Servers are known to have much faster backups if they are defragmented regularly. A small price to pay for avoiding the nightmares of bootcrashes and freezes. It will definitely add years to the life of a workstation. My experience with Windows Defragger hasnt been too good though,it is a tedious task.

That seems to be the concensus here. A lot of people are defragging and with all the disk activity on a server, it just makes sense to do regular defrags on the server. Even on desktop computers, Windows creates and deletes a lot of temp files. Like you said, it won't hurt doing a regular defrag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back