Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do you need Video card plugged in to get post "beeps"

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve45

Technical User
Mar 3, 2003
US
Bought atx mobo off ebay. I dont have the right agp card to check out this motherboard all have is a pci and older agp card that doesn't fit the slot. I have one coming but it isn't here yet. This is Microstar MS 6318 pentium III, with a 667 mhz celron cpu(socket 370).
When I turn it on the fan spins, the key board lights come on but no beeps from the on board speaker.

Do I need the the agp card in to get a post?

Most, but not all boards have audible post codes or beeps.

Try here:

faq602-2731 Kimber

The more I learn,I realize how much more there is to know!

First, the PCI video card should allow you to check the board out...any AGP capable motherboards should still allow older video cards...you may have a jumper that you have to set. Make sure the Bios Enable jumper is set to normal. If it is not, the board won't boot. The older AGP video card...why won't it fit? isn't it a 1X and you board is probably backwards compatible for it? I have an old AGP video board with an extra section of printed circuit board that hangs outside the AGP connector but it still works just fine. Now, as for the beeps...it sounds like your motherboard is not even coming on. Try the PCI video card just to check. Lack of video, bad or wrong memory, etc will all cause a board to not behave properly and give a beep code...if the board has been designed to do so. Am curious as to the board's health...make sure you are using known good memory and video card to check out the MB.

Unplug all the devices and cards, imcluding hard drive, and leave just the PCI card. If it boots, add the devices one at a time. Make sure the IDE cables are not backwards. It's hard to do, but it can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back