Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do you have recent experience with Dell? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdogg

Technical User
Jul 30, 2001
US
Hi everyone!

My company is in the process of evaluating Dell. We have been an HP shop for years with over 5000 desktops and laptops in the environment. The main issue now is cost, so if Dell has an attractive price tag on their products and services we may decide to switch.

My experience with Dell is outdated going all the way back to 2001-2002. Their phone support was top-notch, but I have to say their laptop line at the time (C400 and C600 series) were not the best quality. Power issues were common because they used a grounding screw in the center underneath the laptop that had a tendency to come loose. It would prevent the laptop from powering on. There were also some overheating issues too with those models. On the flipside, the support they offered at the business level was outstanding and unparalleled at the time.

My question to you is if Dell's business support model has improved over the years, stayed the same, or has been on the decline. If you've worked with their support in the last couple years, please share your experiences.

Thank you in advance for your valuable contributions!

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

cdogg,

If I were you at your level of buying IE: "corporate contract" I would contact Dell direct and let them come out and "dance" for you :)

What I have seen is that Dell is willing (for larger corporate contracts) do do just about anything it takes to do business as MOST large companies are.

I think you got a feel for what people think of Dell at least in the corporate level of support, now go to the horse's mouth and get a salesrep from Dell out and see what custom job they can do based on YOUR company.

Just a thought :)

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Right, we are in the process of doing that already. I was just hoping to have heard from someone that knows more about Dell's self-service options and what they're experience has been like. It's one thing to hear from a Dell rep drooling at the mouth for your business, but it's another to hear feedback from a customer that has actually had to deal with the service.
[bigcheeks]

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein

I've found their support very good indeed, however, their call centtre is in India by the sound of their agents and communication is sometimes difficult. There are also errors in the servces rhey provide as shown on their website.
Hope this helps,
graham

Both Dell and HP sent their reps on-site to negotiate a new contract and compare/contrast their services and warranties. The cost and "self-service" options (two of the most important factors) ended up being more attractive in the offer from HP.

So needless to say, in the end we stuck with HP. Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts and ideas.

~cdogg

cdogg;

I agtree about the self-service option. When we have a failed disc drive in the morning, the replacement from the HP depot arrives via Fed-Ex at 2pm the same day. Sweet!

Mike, The IT Guy.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a veteran!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back