Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do you hand code your pages? 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugs421

Technical User
Nov 25, 2002
US
I'm new to php but I have a book and I'm slowly learning. The book is teaching to hand code and I'm wondering if that is the norm. I'm using dreamweaver to produce my pages and I figure I can tweak the code out to better suit my needs once I learn what the code it produces is actually doing. Do you devlopers hand code, or use a program to produce it and then just customize and add to it to suit your needs?

Hand code always. Used Dreamweaver for about 5 minutes once.

-Rob

well the "purists" hand code... I hand-code mostly because I like to read my code and get right down into it. Once you get familiar with PHP / MySQL you will only want to hand code (my prediction)...

Good luck...

Peter

I hand-code, too.

I've found that IDEs like Dreamweaver have built-in preconceived notions of how you are going to perform actions. As a beginner, those preconceived notions are handy and help you get some code out quicker.

However, sooner or later you are going to want to do something that conflicts with the IDE's paradigm -- and then you have a fight on your hands trying to get the IDE to do what you want the way you want.

It is important to remember, too, that PHP is an evolving product. New functions are being added and old functions are being deprecated all the time. IDEs have a hard time keeping up with those changes.

Also, dependence on an IDE can cripple your becoming familiar with a language. I recommend that you familiarize yourself with the PHP online manual ( and get yourself a good syntax-highlighting text editor.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!

There is alot of truth to what these guys are saying, but I use dreamweaver to hand code. Use dreamweavers source code window to do your coing.

The reason for this is that dreamweaver color coordinates your code, and also keeps formatting indents line to line. It is a real time saver.

PLEASE DONT MISSUNDERSTAND - Dont let dreamweaver code for you, like its mentioned above, it will cause problems.

Reid Givens
Webdeveloper

One more opinion:

Use Dreamweaver to do what is was originally intended for: WYSIWYG HTML.
In my opinion all other additions are like odd tools added to a tool that is already like a swiss army knife - for a specific purpose.

Programming languages and concepts need to be understood, so there is really no option but "hand" coding, or let's call it "brain" coding. If you just want to be a user, go ahead and let DW write some code for you. If you want to call yourself a programmer, you've got to write code by hand.

Frozen TV dinner or a juicy burger you cooked yourself?

on this -->The reason for this is that dreamweaver color coordinates your code, and also keeps formatting indents line to line. It is a real time saver.

just about every text editor out there for hand coding (which I also only do my work as, and always recommend for serious development) will perform these tasks for you and much, much more.

eg:

to name a few

I use a mixture of both.
I use dreamweaver when I have to do, well, repeditive tasks or tasks that involve the layout of the program. After setting up the intial things I need, I then hand code it to my specifications of what I actually want it to do. I'd recomend textpad for the hand-coding part.

for people willing to check out some text editors there is a freeware I've been using for a couple of weeks CRIMSON editor. Also if you have themoney to fork out, UltraEdit is unmatched in features.

Both editors have my essential editor feature. Column-mode! :)

Cannot do without anymore! :)

Gary Haran

Most of the time, I use gedit, but sometimes I also use vim. I personally think that anything with more features than gedit (which is like notepad with multiple buffers) is too much (which is why I don't use vim that often for web coding).

//Daniel

daniel,

Under linux I tend to use the same two as well but sometimes also use Quanta for the added features.

I do think you should give vim a chance. It is really great when you SSH over a slow connection and want to edit a file! :)

I'm still looking for a nice editor that has column-mode in Linux though! :-(

Gary Haran

ultraedit is unmatched in features except by emacs of course ;)... emacs even comes with a psychiatrist.

xutopia
Oh, and it comes with column-mode... never used it but I know it's there.

-Rob

Hand code with VIM all the way. I used gedit, but for some odd reason, when I debugged within VI from the command line, I would always have to run the dos2unix utility afterwords to get rid of the hidden characters gedit put there. (ie: ^M at the end of the lines) After a while, it got to be of no use to me.

nawlej
It sounds like gedit assumes that a hard return is always "carriage-return linefeed" (the MS-DOS way), where vi is expecting only "linefeed" (the unix way).

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

sleipnir214
yeah thats exactly what its doing. I figure instead of trying to figure it out on fixing it on every instance I have (and there are many), I will just stick to what works well now.

I always hand code. The best editor I've seen is Homesite, formerly owned by Allaire, but bought by Macromedia ( It handles just about any text-based Web file type.

Natwod

PHPEclipse for me.

I like the CVS integration and project management.

There should be a distinction here between <i>visual design</i> and <i>function</i>.

Design:
You should (when you have the application available to you) design the layout of a web page in a WYSIWYG editor, making good use of CSS. I have seen too many instances where PHP coders get hung up on silly HTML FONT tags. If you define a good CSS, there should be no need to pepper your PHP code with unnecessary HTML fluff. Good CSS and template structure can ease PHP coding as well.

Function:
While the 'dynamic content' features of Dreamweaver and GoLive are nice, I would not suggest becoming too friendly with them. There was a major stink raised with GoLive users when CS came out. GoLive 5 and 6 had a 'dynamic content' ability that allowed you to drop in some PHP functionality. However, Adobe dropped this ability in the CS release. While I welcome the new syntax-colored editor in GoLive CS, many others that depended on the automation of GoLive 5 and 6 were left in the dark.

Once you become familiar with manually coding PHP in a good text editor, the PHP abilities of Dreamweaver may come to look like a gimmick.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back