Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do we need an automated 'thanks'? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GwydionM

Programmer
Oct 4, 2002
GB
I could have posted this to thread717-611615, but to me it seems a new topic.

At the moment, if you ask technical advice and get a decent answer, you can post a written thank-you. Or you can award a star.

Posting a written thank-you wastes the time of everyone who was interested in the topic and checks it out in the hope that a new approach has been found.

A lot of people who do take the trouble to thank those who help them are also reluctant to post a star, which implies expertise as well as helpfullness. Is the answer of general interest to everyone?

'Thanks' could be an extra option, maybe just for the person who started the thread.

Do people agree it would be a good idea?

------------------
A view from the UK

I'd say: No "Thank You" can ever be a waste of time! ;-)
I know, you didn't mean it that way, but that's how I see it. Seeing a post has been newly answered and reading something like
"That works as charm. Thank you so much!" means more to me than any pinky.
Automated Thank Yous would only endanger this place to degenerate to become impersonal - although I doubt this could happen.

Priorities here should not only be to get/provide good answers , but also to get/provide good questions that make us dig for a possible solution so we can all learn from it, not for the sake of collecting stars.
;-)
What do you think?
MakeItSo

I'm not sure either, but if I get your drift, then I don't think it's a good idea.

I think the general thrust of referenced thread is why do so few take the time to show appreciation to those who have helped them. Automating a "thank you" does nothing to alleviate that. It would so hollow as to be meaningless. In fact, I think it may even do the reverse. More people would rely on the automated system, becoming even more lazy than they already are, and take even less time to say thanks.

For someone to even consider the question of whether the answer is of general interest, they would have to be thinking about others rather than themselves. That, at least to my thinking, is the real underlying issue -- people only thinking about themselves. In this case, automation requires even less effort dedicated to those to whom you own at least some debt of gratitude.

I do not agree with the premise that "Posting a written thank-you wastes the time of everyone...". It may take some time, but it's hardly wasted, IMHO. It's a "people issue", not a technological issue, and I don't consider good manners to be a waste of time.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I think that a proper "Thank you" is simple courtesy, and I can't imagine not doing so. An automated one would seem to me to be plain tacky.

Also, I rarely use a solution "as given" so I hope that a "Thanks, and this is what I've done with it" will be useful to others looking at the thread (it also gives the opportunity for the answerer to tell me I'm completely barking up the wrong tree).

I do have a difficulty with stars, I find it hard to judge what is technically clever.... I have a problem, someone helps me to work out an answer, to me that's usually worth a star (probably a sign of my ignorance, but the problem seemed hard to me). Also, the amount of effort that, often, someone puts in to ensure I get a solution... that, in itself, I often think, deserves a star.

A star is a form of recognition, but a genuine "Thank you" is part of a social interaction, which is what these forums are all about.

Rosie

I think that saying "Thank you" and/or awarding a star are best left to the discretion of each person, not to the computer - too impersonal. I am against computer abuse![pipe]

Dimandja

It seems, GwydionM doesn't actually mean all computerized "Thank you", just an extra option left to the discretion of each person, besides a star for "You've been an amazing help, you're a real expert", and a red flag for "This post is inappropriate", something in between, like "Thanks for your input, it was nice of you". Is it what you mean?

Stella

I see it the same - but once more: You don't need a button for that! All you need is some politeness, manners, recognition of the poster's input - and a healthy hand to type "Thanks for input, it was nice of you".

Anyone who needs an automation for that does not really mean the "Thank You". I'd rather do without any Thanks than with an automated one.

I have two thoughts on this:

1st: If I see that there's a star, and I'm having a similar problem, I check that one out first, because it looks like it was either solved or something helpful was said. Stars are a quick visual way to see if a problem has been resolved.

2nd: If you're stuck on something, and someone helps you solve it, would you just let them walk away without a thank-you? I wouldn't... so, a thanks for the help, and a star to alert people that it's been resolved are my thought.

Just my $.02

--Greg

Greg:
I totally agree, that stars are meant to mark helpful posts and are a good indicator if you look for solutions.

but:
would you just let them walk away without a thank-you?

I'd rather have this than an automated thank you. This way, you will remember this guy next time (and the time after...)
If I suspect him being a "taker" only, without being thankful, I click on his name and take a quick look into his profile - if I see he has received 50 answers to his posts and hasn't found any helpful, then I doubt that and will let him know. Those guys are (still) the exception to the rule. See Thread717-611615.

I would not say this was very common, lack of thanks would appear to be more of a problem (see thread717-611615).

When most people thank others they usually incorporate them into their final post, where the final solution and other points are raised.

Good etiquette is always appreciated.

I think I see what you're getting at: a sort of two-tier star system, stars for technically good answers, thanks for helpful ones. Actually I find the stars a bit misleading; often they're awarded by people who don't really understand the problem they've got into, and they're awarded to people who give technically incorrect/misleading answers. Meanwhile a technically accurate answer (which just happens not to be so friendly!) gets no star at all. The most stars I ever got was for admitting to getting the wrong response from a dating agency (relevant to the question, but not a great reflection on my IT tecnical skills).
The trouble with buttons is that different people use them different ways, so they don't measure much. Written thanks are easier to interpret (and more personal).

Well, if that's what you meant, Gwydion, I apologize. Haven't seen it from Lionel's perspective yet.

Yes, that is true Lionel. Instead of a "Thanks" button, perhaps a "Thumbsup" button for tested and confirmed solutions could help.

But then again (quoted freely):
"Not buttons give stars, people give stars (or don't)"

Tek-Tips already provides a good platform and the features you need to get good solutions and improve your skills. If people do not use these features or misuse them, what could such a feature help?

Peace,
MakeItSo
[afro]

I understand what the original poster was complaining about... but as far as I'm concerned when someone posts a "Thanks! That worked like a charm!" is not only nice to the person providing the answer, but it also tells me, as a reader, that the posted solution has actually worked.

Stars can clue you into which solutions probably worked, but getting a definate reply will let you know for sure. Even if its a "Thanks but I still have x problem" it lets you know that a posted solution hasn't worked, which is nice in helping you sort information in threads where many solutions have been proposed.

Another forum (Experts Exchange), uses an accepted answer for each post. If someone has answered the posters question, the poster can reflect that it is an accepted answer. I guess the starts are supposed to be similar. I would like to see both incorporated here. That gives you the option to thank many people for their contributions, and provide which answer(s) solved the problem.

[Blue]Blue[/Blue] [Dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

I've used Experts Exchange before, and I agree that the Accepted Answer (and Assited Anwser) is a very useful system, and more descriptive than stars for everything. A system that uses both, as you said, would be perfect.

Are we all getting a bit heavy about this? A star is a star - that's all. You can't use it to pay bills, or to buy answers. In this forum it's not about competition, and prizes, and making sure of your place in the hierarchy, it's just professionals helping professionals.

I would be disappointed with the site (and highly surprised) if it went down the 'currency' route, with so-called experts scrabbling for points and getting involved in futile arguments about who deserves what, and why.

Let's keep it simple, and answer the questions that interest us while helping others.

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

>>In this forum it's not about competition

I agree with johnwm, I don't know how many times I have reveiw a question and found a reply like....

You have 100 questions ask and only 2 helpful..

A written "Hey thanks alot that worked" is more meaningful
to me than counting stars. But it seems to me, that there are some people within this forum that reviews profiles before attempting to help someone out.

Don't get me wrong, anytime a reply has help or even pointed me in the right direction I have always taken the time to say "thank-you" with written or by a star. Its the best way to everyone know you've received good help.

This forum has saved me a thousand times....

I didn't mean for the accepted answer bit to be a points system, just a means of easily searching through a thread to see what worked.

[Blue]Blue[/Blue] [Dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

I didn't mean for the accepted answer bit to be a points system, just a means of easily searching through a thread to see what worked.

It could be helpful if used properly. But some members don't bother to return with updates and mark a solution that worked with a star, something we already have. Why would they make an exception for an "Accepted solution" mark?

Second, some members choose not the best solution provided, but the first that works, so it might not be that helpful information either.

And third, some people mark something with a star, say it's working good, then come back later and say that it doesn't actually work that good, that a problem appears to be such and such. Can there be more than one accepted solution, or the starter of the thread would be able to recall his own marks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back