Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do we need a new forum for VS 2005 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stsuing

Programmer
Aug 22, 2001
US
The differences are significant so I think so.

As a bit of a cop-out answer, it depends!

On one hand, most 1.1 applications will run on the second version of the framework (if you are upgrading the code with the upgrade wizard in VS) without any changes (or very few anyway, as most of the changes it recommends are just warnings where the old methods are obsolete but will still run).

On the other hand, it would be much easier to answer questions if we knew which version of the framework the poster was using so we knew where to gear our answers to.

I think we should maybe just wait a while and see how the questions pan out and if they start getting too complicated due to the different versions, then we create a new forum.

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

My bad. This topic has been beat to death already.

I don't know if it has to be honest. It would be good to have a thread like this to see everyone's opinions if the time does come to create a new forum - it'll make an better case when we put it to the management if there are a lot of people in favour of it.

I'm going to put my 2cents in and say, yes. I think that the current setup will eventually prove to be too confusing. Otherwise, we should have the vba and vb6.0 forumns added together.

To be honest with you, I signed onto Tek-Tips today just to see how many people were using the new application. I was surprised to see everything bunched together.

Bobby Strickland
Solutions Engineer
Strictly Consulting, Inc
http:'Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work' -- Aristotle

On one hand I think the two should be separated, on the other hand a lot of the code related questions apply for both versions. The majority of questions about VS 2005 deals with how to install, how to convert old code, what the differences are and the like. So for now I think it's not neccessary, but in the future maybe...

Regards, Ruffnekk
---
Is it my imagination or do buffalo wings taste just like chicken?

My two cents...we'd spend half our posts redirecting people to the right forum anyway, if VB6 vs VBA is any indicator.

If a 2k5 forum is made, we're going to need longer signatures aloud. I'm maxed out in lenght with links to the VB.Net/ASP.Net and my web site. I'd hate to cut any of those links for another forum ;)

-Rick

VB.Net Forum forum796 forum855 ASP.NET Forum
[monkey]I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

I think that, like any other good design philosophy, we have to think in terms of what's good for the system users and not so much about what's good for the developers or the system maintainers.

Its very inconvienent to have to search through questions asked for VB.Net 2002 and 2003 and hope that it applies to VB.Net 2005. Or to have to be sure to say "Now this is for this version".

Like I said before, this is the principle reason why the other flavors of VB aren't combined. Such as VBA, VB 6.0 and Access VB. They are all very similar but it would over complicate things to keep them together.

Well... thats my 2cents.

Bobby Strickland
Solutions Engineer
Strictly Consulting, Inc

I think that, like any other good design philosophy, we have to think in terms of what's good for the system users and not so much about what's good for the developers or the system maintainers.
That's true but you also have to look at the users needs (i.e. what questions are they asking). Most of the questions that are being asked at the moment are fairly framework independant at the moment (i.e. 3 out of the last 40 on my page have been specific to 2005 - the rest could probably be answered without knowing).

There will come a time when we do seperate the forums but we have to think of what is best for Tek-Tip users and at the minute it probably isn't sperating the forums.

Its very inconvienent to have to search through questions asked for VB.Net 2002 and 2003 and hope that it applies to VB.Net 2005. Or to have to be sure to say "Now this is for this version".

Like I said before, this is the principle reason why the other flavors of VB aren't combined. Such as VBA, VB 6.0 and Access VB. They are all very similar but it would over complicate things to keep them together.
All of the answers that are given to version 1.0 and 1.1 of the framework are generally still applicable in 2.0. Yes, they might be different ways of doing things but it is backward compatible most of the time and VS will inform you if there is a new method so I don't really think it's a big deal.

Also, VBA and VB6 (Access VB is VBA) are fairly similar in implementation whereas the difference between those and VB.NET is completely different (i.e. it's OO and the others aren't).

<quote>
Also, VBA and VB6 (Access VB is VBA) are fairly similar in implementation whereas the difference between those and VB.NET is completely different (i.e. it's OO and the others aren't). </quote>

I'm aware that Access is VBA. I was making a distinction between Excel VBA (which is what must people call VBA) and Access VBA. There very similar but use a different object model.

My point was that VBA and VB 6.0 are very similar VBA being a subset of VB 6.0. But we have them seperated because it lessens the confusion for people looking for very specific answers to language dependent questions.

Though most of VB 2003 and VB 2005 are similar, the differences are what I'm focusing on. It would be difficult for someone who is lost and looking for a solution to a problem to know that the answer they find will work for 2003 but not 2005 or that there is a better way to do it in the newer version.

I think that there aren't alot of VB.Net 2005 specific questions out right now becuase the full version just came out. Once it become more widely used then things may be different.

Bobby Strickland
Solutions Engineer
Strictly Consulting, Inc

I'm aware that Access is VBA. I was making a distinction between Excel VBA (which is what must people call VBA) and Access VBA. There very similar but use a different object model.
Yes they are both different object models but they use the same programming language (Visual Basic for Applications) which is why I said they were the same (we dont seperate all the object models that can be used in VB.NET do we?).

I don't however agree that the reason the Access, Excel and VB6 forums are seperated so that it lessens the confusion fo people though. They are seperated because they are different applications (and one is a different language) and what is an answer in one will (most probably) not work in the other (whereas that isn't the case between framework versions).

Version 1.1 and version 2.0 can be used by the same language and in most cases, as I pointed out above, what works on 1.1 will work in 2.0 (and it's easy enough to ask a question here if it doesn't).

As I said above, and I think you are now agreeing with it, there aren't that many specific questions so using that argument it isn't the time to create a new forum (yet!). It will be once the questions that start getting asked are dependant on the framework that people are using which is why I said "it'll make an better case when we put it to the management if there are a lot of people in favour of it".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back