Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do printers take up a licence on Novell??

Status
Not open for further replies.

smudger1

ISP
Sep 17, 1999
GB
Visit site
I wouldn't have thought they did but I was asked and counldn't say no for definate. I looked on Novells website but unable to find any reference to this.<br>
<br>

If the printer is operating as a PSERVER, yes, it does take up a login. If it uses NDPS, then it might not. (I need to try it out this week!) If you are using an HP Jetprint module, then 3 printers can connect with one PSERVER login. <p>Fred Wagner<br><a href=mailto:frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us>frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Printers, at least in Netware 4, use a CONNECTION but not a license, they do not count towards the 5 user (or higher) limit. A limitation of Netware 4 is that it is limited to 256 simultaneous connections, I don't know if 5 has the same limit.

Print servers use a licensed connection. PSERVER uses one license. Each print server box or internal card (which connect a printer directly to the network) also uses a license. In NDPS, the NDPS manager object uses a license. Various server utilities (Novell and third party) may also use licensed connections. Review the Connection screen in the Console Monitor. Any connection that does not have an asterisk (*) in front of it is using a license.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back