Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

do p4 mobos normally bulge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakota81

Technical User
May 15, 2001
US
I'm putting together my first p4 system, just got the parts in, an MSI 865PE board, and I installed the cpu & supplied intel heatsink / fan. First I noticed the levers to secure the fan were a strain to put into place, then holding the board I noticed the weight was very uneven, unusually heaving on the cpu side. That's when I saw the MSI board is actually bulging out underneath the cpu socket from the pressure. Is this normal? I haven't powered the machine up yet.

No...in all the time I've put together pc's I've never seen a MB "bulge"...not unless you're trying to flex it. It sounds like something is not lined up or has been forced...or it was manufactured like this in which case take it back and get another "straight" board.

Cheers

Absolutely not, they should be flat. Make sure there is the proper supports underneath. In all the right places, and not where they should not be. Boards are different and you will have to move those little thingy's.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Make sure you do not have anything pushing down from the bottom of the motherboard. some times a standoff will be installed that you do not need also. This can ground out your motherboard and cause damage when the power is supplied. Flexing a motherbord can cause the solder to pop off or the traces on the motherboard to be damaged.

Many people I have talked to suggest putting the CPU on the motherboard with the cooler before mounting the motherboard. This can be done on a non-conductive surface like cardboard that is both stiff, but gives.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Actually I HAVE seen one brand of motherboard BOW when processor/fan installed.. The Soyo Fire Dragon P4I has a decided bow to it when you install the processor and fan to it.

I haven't heard much of any discussion re this subject for some time, but early on in the release of the P4 there was quite a bit of discussion re the supplied Intel HSF bowing the motherboard upon installation. Most of the major mobo mfgr's indicated this was normal, as did Intel.

I for one was not comfortable w/ this scenario and chose to install an aftermarket HSF (an Arkua on a P4 1.6/EPoX, and a Zalman 5700D on a P4 2.4/EPoX). No bowing w/ either HSF.

small amount of bowing should be ok. You will know when you go to boot it. Being new, you can RMA it if it wont boot.

Thanks for all the responses, the machine is running fine, haven't run into any problems. I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed...

I have seen many mobo's that are bowed. They came out of the box like that and I suspect it was due to the "shrink-wrap" being very tight causing the corners to pull up.

The company that I work for I have seen this happen with all the CPU's with the two white lock levers on the MSI motherboards.This bulging/bowing is bad because these motherboards are multi layered circuitboards and can cause system failure.

The first time I saw this I was not to impressed with Intel's HSF.

To minimize the bulging click/clip the Heat Sink Fan in place but don't lock it in place yet. Install the motherboard in the case and mount and secure it with the mounting screws. After all the mounting screws are fastened lock the the Heat Sink Fan in place with the white levers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back