Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do Mitel (Ascom) 5402 DECTs work with MiVoice Business 8 / 9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meneerB

IS-IT--Management
Oct 4, 2005
NL
Hi all,
if we upgrade from mcd 5 to mivb8 or 9, do the 5402 models still work?
They are and will be connected as a generic sip phone.
We use the Mitel (Ascom OEM) parimaster/synmaster/mobilitymaster/dect system of Ascom and upgrade this with the latest firmware.

any experience?
- calls working?
- forward calls?
- name/number recognition working?
- dropped calls/ hickups?

I chose not to upgrade the Ascom and left it at release 6. There were warning about upgrading it and memory space that I just didn't want to deal with.

I upgraded a system from 4.2 to 8.0 and the phones worked just fine.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Interesting remark you make there. I'll have a chat with Ascom about that. We want to go from 5 to 9.
We also have 2 basestation models, ipbs1 and 2. which one did you refer to?

which types did they use, specificaly 5402?
Did you upgrade the other phones to the latest firmware?

I didn't pay much attention the base stations as I had no intention of upgrading them

This is from the release notes:
9.1 release notes said:
Downgrade/Upgrade concerns

• Problem: IPBS1 now only has radio functionality

Due to lack of available flash space for new firmware/boot on IPBS1, we need to
remove reserved space for persistent data to make more space available.
Solution: This means that the central software components is no longer supported
on IPBS1. The IPBS1 is now only able to host the DECT Radio component. All
IPBS1 in a system using any other functionality than DECT Radio component (i.e.
Master, Mobility Master, Crypto Master, Kerberos server, Central Phonebook,
Gateway) need to be replaced/swapped by IPBS2 before upgrade to 9.1.X.
If central software components are enabled for an IPBS1 there is a risk that there
already are too little space in the flash to be able to upload the 9.1.X firmware. In that
case a factory reset is needed to resolve the issue.​

whow! nice.
I think I have to read this document by myself also.

All masters, except 4 sycnmasters, are IBBS2.
We aren't told those 4 will get issues after the upgrade. Lets replace these 4 also.
Star again:)

Sorry to ask again, did you use 5402? Oops, typo. I mean the 5602
The 5602 is configured as a Generic Sip Phone. All our other phones (eg. 5604) have new firmware available and have an entry in the MCD for that specific model.

I ask this because our supplier states that after upgrading DECT, and/or migrating to MiVB8, this model could not work anymore.
So could not or would not + my 4 remarks in my initial post.

What do you think: should I worry? We have quite a lot of these phones...

All my phones were 5602's, 20 of them

You can update all IPBS1/2 to the latest firmware version (10.2.x at this moment). However, the IPBS1 is only able to host the DECT Radio component (radio, so this can also be a sync master) from version 9.1.x and on.
As quoted above, for all other functionalities you need the IPBS2 / IPVM.

Since the dect-phones are not communicating with the MCD directly (only the IP-dect master communicates with the MCD), I think it makes no difference what kind of dect-device is used (as long as this is an Ascom dect device)

I upgraded this weekend to the latest 8.0 and dect to 9.1 and the 5602 do work fine.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

King, is v10 mitel firmware or ascom?
Would you be so kind to provide the release notes?
I heard some rumors that mitel will continue with the newly purchased Aastra dect system.

That could imply that updates for ipbs will stop, to force customers to go to the other (own) brand????

Tlpeter, I concur. It's a sip registration, which works perfectly.

As far as I know uses Mitel the SIP-dect (formally know as DeTeWe/Aastra) for the smaller Mitel systems (e.g. MiVoice Office xx0) and the IP-dect (OEM Ascom) for the larger systems (e.g. MiVoice Business / MiVoice MX1).
However, recently I noticed a small change in name at the download site of Mitel: the IP-dect (OEM Ascom) is now called: "Ascom IP DECT", where the SIP-dect is called: "Mitel SIP DECT).
v10.2.7 firmware is the current latest release of Ascom IP-dect
v9.1.11 firmware is the current latest release of Mitel IP-dect

Due to support issues, it is not recommended to used Ascom firmware at Mitel hardware (or vice versa).

Yeah, confusing.

We just installed v9 on our 150 mitel ipbs ones.

Mitel wsm cannot manage ascom phones[mad]

Last year I had to purchase ascom dects, because 5604 was not available anymore and 5614 did not work properly on ipbs v5

And mitel fw cannot be installed on a D62...

Btw, now that I'm typing this: I need to change some small settings (syslog ip, etc) on the devices.
do you, or someone else has a way how to use the air sync script?
I only can get all base stations to do a backup to our IIS server.
Other commands don't work and the manual has to less examples or detailed info.
Ps. Upgrading using the script went very well and saved us a ton of work.

quote: "Mitel wsm cannot manage ascom phones"
This is definitely true. You need an Ascom UCM for this.

In mixed systems (with Mitel and Ascom phones) you can use both WSM and UCM. Create two masters/mirrors (and a mob-master), add the Ascom phones to one and the Mitel to the other master. Point the device manager at both masters to the corresponding PDM (UCM or WSM).

I do not know anything about an "air sync script", don't you meant "update script"?

using the update server is not that hard :)
* create a .txt file, place this on your webserver, map to this file at the "Command file Url" and do not forget to change the "Interval" timer to "1" (this prevents waiting for a long time, e.g.
x.x.x.x/update/change_config.txt

* at this file, add the config you want to change.
The file will be read. Add a "config write", "config activate" and "iresetn" at the end for executing the changes.
e.g. for changing the syslog settings:

config change LOG0 /fault-log-max 300 /fault-save-max 300 /type syslog /addr y.y.y.y /class 5 /method std /fwd off
config change LOG0 FAULT
config change LOG0 CNT
config write
config activate
iresetn

Do not forget to disable this function by deleting the Command file Url, else this will be executed on and on and on an on....

King, We do have a UCM, with that we can manage the Ascom phones.
Fun thing is that the ucm is listening to the wsm, so no need for extra masters.

Thanks for your script tips.
I'll try it after my vacation!
From memory, you can put the temporary change script line in the air sync field on the pari master. I saw that the update timer can also be changed from 15 to e.g. 1 min.
Also, you can put a check command on top: when that name meets the previous one, the script will not run.

BUT, although we upgraded, only 5 base stations are 'seeing' this, so the rest does nothing. I waited for an hour or so, that doesn't help.
Any thoughts?

You need to use the "Radio config" option at the master when using a script for updating (the config of) multiple radios.

There were some issues with pushing config to connected radios, so probably you ran into this :-(

Documented issues?
Do you have link please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back