Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

do I need version control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinger2121

Programmer
Sep 11, 2007
US
Hello,
I am the lone programmer in a mid size business. I would just like to get some thoughts on whether I should implement source control using VSS or if it overkill considering I am the only developer.

any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

I suggest you use a version control system.

Programmers are always fallible. When we work on a project, we will do requirement, design for it, start coding, then change our minds, rewrite it, go back to a previous version, and so on. If you can use a version control tool correctly, it will make your work easier. You can get back to any version immediately. Also, a version control system can help establish better programming practices.

So why not use a version control system even you are a lone programmer?

To me, source/version control is absolutely necessary no matter how many developer you have.

I use VSS at home on my personal projects, and I insist that clients I contract my services to (where I work onsite) have source control as well.

Being able to back up and recover and or compare to a previous version of code after I've managed to screw something up has saved my butt many times.

Being able to do maintaince on a specific version of a project while working on major updates is invaluable.

You can use VSS which is inexpensive (or included with MSDN) or subversion or others that are free and you will NEVER go back.

Seriously!

Bill Kuhn - MCSE
bkuhn@kuhngroup.com
The Kuhn Group, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back