Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I need two separate sets of lines from my ISP to use HSRP? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

texnut

IS-IT--Management
Jan 11, 2007
US
Hello all,

We would like to implement redundant gateway routers in our main office space.

We currently have a single T1 line going into an older 2500 series router.

We would like to upgrade to dual T1's and a 2811 router - but in order to gain redundancy using HSRP, wouldn't we need to have two sets of dual T1's per router?

Or am I missing something?

Thanks for any advice,

S

To have a perfect redundancy you need to have a pair of routers with a T1 card each one, but if you don´t have it, you can use one single one with two T1 cards.

In both cases you only need two single T1 Card, not a dual T1 Card.

Regards.

RP

Ok, things just got a little more interesting ...

They just told me that they are interested in getting 4 T1 lines so they have a total of 6MB down/up stream bandwidth.

To accommodate this, we would get a 2811 with two dual-T1 VWIC cards and bond all four T1s.

If we want to introduce perfect redundancy, we would need to purchase an additional 2811, and this one should also have two dual-T1 VWIC cards right?

Are you saying we would need to have 4 additional T1 lines going into the secondary router to have perfect redundancy?

Could I say, bond 3 T1s on the first router and have one T1 going into the secondary router?

Thanks

For true redundancy, get two routers, place two T1's on each router and as you said before, bond each pair on a multilink interface.

This gives you full redundancy and the ability to load balance over the links. What is also provides you now is the ability to implement Cisco OER to manage the links to insure high performance of your WAN network.

Maheick - thanks for the info!

so, if I'm understanding you right, are you saying that if I implement two T1's on each of the routers then I will be able to get a full 6Mbps of bandwidth if I use multilink to bond the two T1's together and Cisco OER on each router?

I have no experience with either really - do you have any helpful links on OER?

Many thanks!

s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back