Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

do i need two nic cards to setup vpn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwigen

Technical User
May 16, 2005
GB
I currently have one machine using windows 2000 server (office network) and i have XP pro at home both use one network card, and both are on adsl. i can't seem to connect using vpn. I have used the setup wizard on the XP machine and I have enabled the w2000 machine to accept VPN, but the server loses internet connection.

OK.. couple of questions..

What kind of firewall is the Win2k machine sitting behind at work?

Secondly, what do you mean by "the server loses internet connection"

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Thanks for the kwik reply.
I am currently using a netgear adsl dg834 router.the win2k machine is the server, and if i activate the VPN and start the service, then i can not access the network or internet with this machine.
Hope this helps.

understood... So you can't access the network or internet from the machine that is connecting to the Win2k server, or is it the Win2k server which loses the connection?

Assuming it is the client which loses internet connection, that is normal.

Using PPTP you can only have 1 gateway, and it is either your ISP gateway, or the remote network gateway. There is no split tunneling using PPTP.

CCNA

I do appologize i am still no clearer on this subject.
Ok i will try to give you the exact setup senario.
At my office i have adsl which is going through a netgear adsl router. Attached to that is a switch which all the computers are attached including the server which is windows 2000 server. I have a pc at home which runs XP proffessional, and i would like to use VPN to access the server at my office. is there a step by step process you could help me with?
Thanks... :)

Well it sounds to me like you are able to connect to the Win2K machine via VPN??

The client home PC is supposed to lose internet connectivity when connected to the VPN, that's normal.

CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back