Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I need to upgrade to Netware 6 soon?? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark01

Technical User
Jan 17, 2001
US
I received an email from Novell that mentioned that if you have a CNE, you must upgrade to v6 before the end of October 2003.

My question is, if you wait until after October to upgrade, will you have to take all 6 tests over to obtain CNE status again, or can you still take the upgrade test after the deadline??

I read it as one would have to start over - that's why I'm going to try to schedule an exam for next week...

Novell does not require you to rewrite all the exams if you miss the deadline for the CCR (continuing certification requirement). If you miss the deadline you will still retain your CNE status but will loose CNE benefits until you write and pass the exam. The bottom line is that if someone was to contact Novell to verify your CNE status they will be notified that you are not current.

You will be able to write the upgrade exam to meet the CCR right up until the exam is retired.

Be sure to write the correct exam. NetWare 5 CNEs should write Exam # 050-676 and NetWare 4 CNEs should write Exam # 050-678.

Marie Perry
CNI/MCNE/MCSE

Cool, thats exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!!

LadyNRed,

Do you have any info on test questions on the web for the 4.x to 6 test? Thanks in advance.

I've not written the 4 to 6 upgrade so I can't speak from personal experience. What I do know is that it will be very much like the 5 to 6 upgrade but with the additional differences from NetWare 4. NetWare 5 CNEs already know this material. Be sure to take a look at the exam objectives.

The information you need to study will be found in two courses. Upgrading to NetWare 6 - Course 3000 and NetWare 4 to netWare 6 CNE Upgrade Prerequisite - Course 3004. Transcender and Self Test both have practice tests for the 5 to 6 upgrade. If you'd like to download some free audio questions for the upgrade exam you'll find them on my website. I'm not aware of any tests for the Prerequisite portion. Just a thought but what about seeing if the old 4 to 5 upgrade is still available at a discounted price somewhere? These are likely to be the types of questions you'll be asked. If you compare the questions to the ojectives you should be able to get a good idea of which ones are relevant.

If you are not able to take the courses, I would recommend that you purchase at least the Prerequisite Novell Authorized Self Study Kit (White Book).

PS Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I had configured my account here to email me with responses but my address was incorrect.

Marie Perry
CNI/MCNE/MCSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back