Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I need to make a .mde?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buee04

Technical User
Jun 27, 2002
US
Hi,

I'm finishing up my first db and I was wondering if I need to split it into a front end/back end and make a .mde file.

The db has 2 types users: full data and read only. The full data users will be those in my department at the corporate office. The read only users will be salespeople across the country.

So basically there will be one or two people adding and editting the data, while the rest are just using it for information retrieval purposes.

Thank you.

Its always a good idea to split the database if there is going to be multiple users. I have used a different version of the frontend for different types of users so as to supply them access to only what they need. ( maybe just certain reports)

As far as making an .MDE, this will keep users from messing with you code (if that is a concern).

Always make a backup before splitting or making an .MDE!

Okay, I will take up your suggestion and split it up. But I don't know if I'll make an .mde because tomorrow is my deadline and also my last day working so I won't be here to remake .mde's everytime they want to load a new version up on the net.

That and I'm not too worried about people messing with my code [bigsmile]

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back