Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I need to backup the windows folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

backlund

Technical User
Nov 30, 2004
US
I am running full backups of our DC's, but most of them fail because of certain databases like wins, dhcp, .net, etc. that cannot be backed up. We have the open file agent, but it doesn't seem to help much. I also run system state backups every night which I believe contains the registry and other critical system data. Is it necessary to backup the windows folder if you do a system state backup, or am I just wasting time and tape space? ;-)

Backlund,

How have you configured you OFA?

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,
GSC

Common sense is not so common anymore

Patch up whatever version you have of ARCserve to the latest level, this seemingly recurring problem is often resolved in post-release service packs for ARCserve.

I am running the latest version of ArcServe (11.5). What needs to be configured with the open file agent? We just got this software, so I'm still learning it.

Just installing the OFA does not automatically mean that your open files gets backed up.
You have to configure the OFA to backup folders where you have open files.

Regarding excluding your Windows folder.
I would say that it depends on what your DR plan is.
If your DC crashes and your DR is to restore it from tape then your SOL (shit out of luck).
But if your DR is to reinstall the machine from scratch I would say that you can exclude it.

However, if you have purchased the OFA it doesn't make any sense to exclude it. Just make sure to configure your OFA and it will work.

By the way, what version of Arserve are you running and what is the OS on your DC? (SP level on DC as well)

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,
GSC

Common sense is not so common anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back