Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

do i need the ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaizer

Technical User
Jan 27, 2004
US
hello
testing the following
NT4BDC which was upgr to PDC and inplace upgrade to 2003 server with AD.
I then installed exch 2003 (created a new org - not join existing)
then i used exmerge on 5.5 on one test mailbox and imported it in 2003 exch server/DC
all seemes to work ok
question is - do i need to have ADC connection agreements?
if so, why?
thx

Is your Exchange 5.5 box still actively being used? Do AD user accounts access mailboxes on the 5.5 server?
What about Public Folders?
ADC will populate your AD with all the Pub, Priv, and System folder info. If you're gonna just take it offline, and start a new Exchange 2003 org from scratch, then I don't see why you'd need it.
Exmerge can be a hassel though if you've got a large number of user mailboxes, dist. groups, etc to move. And remember, you can't move your Public Folder and System Folder info into the new 2003 box without ADC.

Brad

thanks very much for your reply/info
when the migrate is done on production exch, i hope to take exch 55 offline and be done with it
however, i don't know about hte system folder.
Specifically what folder(s) is that?
what's in it?
we do not use public folders
we have only 32 users

thanks again

With only 32 users, I wouldn't even bother with a "migration". You said you moved the mailboxes over via ExMerge. I'd just change all your DNS, etc, and start routing mail through the new box.
The System Folder on the old 5.5 server contains the Global Address Book, Offline Address Book, and Schedule+ Free Busy information. With such a small number of users, it'd be easier to just start all those over from scratch on your new box.

Atch

thx for your reply
I know - it's a shame that we have to go to 2003 - it's really more than we need
however, the only way i knew to bring over the mailbox data was exmerge
thx very much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back