Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I need PERL for CGI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRBeltman

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2004
NL
Hi there,
as I know nothing of PERL/CGI I have to ask you a really dumb question.

As I got the Appserv WAMP (Windows, Apache, MySQL, PhP) solution installed and it makes an cgi-bin by default I thought to try out some cgi. So started with the default script to test, but got errors.

Anyway, I started looking on the net at the error (Internal server error source not found, cant spawn child (or something like that)) and saw a lot of references to PERL.

So, my question:
Do I need PERL to run CGI scripts?

JR (IT = Logic (except for a well known OS where it equals luck) -> Back to the Basics!

CGI is the Common Gateway Interface, and is just about the interaction between the webserver and the client (browser) CGI can be written in any programming language, as long as it conforms to the webservers specs.

C/C~,C++, COBOL, ... Perl, PHP, Ruby on Rails, Tyle, python ... all can be used to create CGI applications.

If you're trying to run CGI scripts, then they're likely perl, and you will need the perl interpreter installed,
Paul
------------------------------------
Spend an hour a week on CPAN, helps cure all known programming ailments ;-)

Thanks,
I have meanwhile downloaded the latest Active Perl and will try it tomorrow... Hope it will get me what I want.....

Thanks again

JR (IT = Logic (except for a well known OS where it equals luck) -> Back to the Basics!

>> WAMP

I don't rcommend you use WAMP. I know it's seductive as it includes everyting you need and allows you to avoid setting up the various programs, but it's strength is also it's weakness.

Installing perl, apache, mysql and php is not hard if you have even minimal computer experience. There are a lot of step by step tutorials on the internet that can walk you through the installation process.

------------------------------------------
- Kevin, perl coder unexceptional! [wiggle]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back