Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

do i need a server 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTONE

Technical User
Oct 28, 2006
GB
I am setting up small business.I need some help on best setup for 1-14 computers.All with access to main computer(server or not),wireless connections,and 3 remote connections.Plus 2 office networked printers.Do i need a server for this amount of computers.If so which might be the best option.Many Thanks.

GTONE

You cannot have a central computer permitting access by more than 10 computers at the same time under any Windows client operating system, such as Windows XP.

You would need to use either a Windows Server edition, or Linux.

Time to hire an IT firm to sort things out and get things setup properly

A windows small business server sounds like the best thing for you. Windows server 2003 would probably work fine. The server would contain the main files you need and provide a platform to do remote connects and backups of your critical files. You could alos have a small mail server operating within that same box. A good hardwired switch with a couple wireless routes (with firewalls) would do the job. I would hire a local consultant who could get you installed and hook up the internet. I would suggest that you get full documentation from this consultant which would include diagrams and information on your final configuration and settings. The documentation would then allow for you to hire any good computer technician or consultant to make repairs or upgrades to your system.

SBS is definitely the best way to go. Our first server was set up by outside professionals in 1999, NT 4.0 running Exchange 5.5, Veritas, BackOffice Server, etc. The software bill alone was in the thousands.

For waaaay less you can get SBS 2003-R Premium and it comes with Exchange, SQL, and ISA firewall, everything you will need for the above task. I did the server build and migration myself, as a part-time tech and full-time employee.

If you are technically inclined it is not difficult, especially with a new startup. I would recommend a VPN router/firewall to handle the Internet NIC, a gigabit switch and wireless access point(s) on the second NIC, not routers (watered-down WAPs), DHCP should be SBS' job.

If I were to do it all over again I might just buy a prebuilt machine, as most of my problems with setup were hardware-related. I would definitely choose SCSI or SAS over SATA regardless of who did the build, and definitely choose SBS again. Its wizards are very intuitive and management is a snap.

Read about SBS and view some of the resources online, if you don't feel comfortable doing the setup then do not hesitate to contact your local IT shop for guidance. SBS is designed to be user-friendly but it does require some core knowledge.

Most non-tech people have an outside consultant choose the gear and network layout and get everything working, then let the client manage the system.

Best of luck!

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back