Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I need a hub to connect two computers together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanoo

Technical User
Aug 8, 2001
US
Ok Heres the problem. I have a laptop and a desktop both have NICs and I have a Cat5 RJ45 Ethernet cable When I connect them my Win 2k computer recognizes that theres another computer (by the way the other computer is running Win NT 4.0)and the Lights in the NICs are on but I cannot Share anything even when I have shared the folders on both sides. Basically I'm trying to not go thru a HUB I just want to connect the two computers with the ethernet cable (And NOT via Direct cable connection with a null M Parallel cable its too slow And I have a large amount of Data to transfer) Please Help??

no what you need is a crossover cable So long and thanks for all the fish.

In the NIC setup turn off the Auto negotiate and set it for 10 half on both computers. That is what I would check next. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my knowledge.
Scott
s-tomlin@mindspring.com

No you don't need a hub for 2 computers. gunthnp said it, you do need a crossover cable. Basically if the colored wires of your RJ-45 connectors are not in the same sequence on both ends, you've more than likely got a crossover cable. And more specifically wires 1 and 3 are switched. This can be used to connect the computers directly.

Yes you need crossover cable but if you dont have RJ45
pencers than you must buy it.Reason is next:When you connect computers directly wire on wich one comp transmit
data is same as on the other comp.So it transmit on transmit and recieve on recieve wich is wrong.Net equipement is switching wires so transmit goes on recieve and vice versa like it should be.As i remember you should switch first on 3. and second on 6.
So 1-3 ; 2-6.

Hope it helps! Sleew
Compaq & Microsoft TS
sleew@infosky.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back