Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I have enough power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhlee99

Technical User
May 23, 2003
IN
hi all,

I have the following setup and was wondering if my current power supply can handle adding more hardware and some overclocking.

My current setup:
MSI MS-6380 MOBO
AMD ATHLON 1.3Ghz
512MB PC2100
2 IBM 60GXP HDD IN RAID 0
LITEON CD-RW
LITEON DVD-ROM
NEC DVD+R
GEFORE2 GTS
PCI USB 2.0 CARD
PCI 1394 CARD
PCI INTEL 10/100 NIC CARD
4 FANS (2 REAR, 1 HDD, 1 FRONT)
ANTEC PP-403X PS (400W)
*nothing overclocked

What I would like to do is add another 512MB of PC2100 and two more HDDs in RAID 0 (80GB Western Digital) and overclock the CPU to 1.5Ghz. I don't plan to add any more fans.

Any thoughts?

Thanks all!
jhlee

thanks diogenes10.

that article really helps. doing a quick calculation, i'm way short of power. also, i noticed that my PS unit only have six ide power cables, but adding 2 hdds will require seven cables.

jhlee

You also have 2 fans you did not list. the cpu and power supply. Most cases will do just fine with one front pulling in and the power supply fan blowing out. Check you temp reading in the cmos. 400 watts is a lot of juice. i have built many machines with large raid arrays with 300 watts no problem. One interesting thing i have found on pc's with windows XP or 2K installed is that if the power supply is nearing max potential then it takes longer to boot. disconect some fans and cd roms and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back