Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

do i have a virus ? computer only starts in safe mode 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

machoosh1

Technical User
Mar 28, 2003
CA
need to know how to fix this.... my other computer only starts in safe mode....what do i do now ? windows 98se

Do you have any error messages as it boots up? Were there any
recent software or hardware changes?

NO ERROR MESSAGES I CAN SEE just starts in safe mode, i had a video card installed 2 weeks ago but its been working fine.....kids download music and stuff, so i just thought it was a virus. any ideas ? isn't there a way to make it startup ?

Run a virus scanner and spyware scanner over the machine and clear up anything it finds in safe mode, then see if you can get into 98 again.

John

did you check your device manager see if you have anything showing with a ! mark by it.

Try using Automatic Skip Driver Agent
Start >> Run MSinfo32
Tools menu >> Automatic Skip Driver

Alot of info using All System Info Utility tools here;

Automatic Skip Driver (ASD) identifies failures that have caused Windows 98 to stop responding on previous startups and marks them so they are bypassed on subsequent startups.

You'll See a "Click Here" to start Automatic Skip Driver.

You can also start Automatic Skip Driver AS I DESCRIBE ABOVE or by clicking Start, pointing to Programs, pointing to Accessories, pointing to System Tools, and then clicking System Information. In System Information, click Tools, and then click Automatic Skip Driver Agent.
All devices or operations that have failed to start are listed by ASD. You can use ASD to enable any device previously disabled by ASD, and Windows 98 will attempt to use the device on the next startup attempt. If it fails, your computer will stop responding. When you restart your computer again, ASD will prevent the operation from running allowing you to start your computer. Click Details to identify the failing device and display a suggested course of action.

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs..All involved shall be spared the grief.

Oh yeh..

Have you run Scandisk...?

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs..All involved shall be spared the grief.

Also, if there are no viruses and the problem started in the last 5 days, then hold down the Ctrl key during startup, select 'Command prompt only' using the arrow keys, press Enter, at the C:\> prompt type scanreg /restore and press Enter, select a Registry that predates the problem, and press Enter.

If no luck or if the problem happened more that 5 days ago, then see if a clean boot finds the cause:

This could be a longshot...but try running Regedit from the command line. Check to ensure that it is not set to "Boot in safe mode" only. You never know...sometimes the best solution is the simplest one. (i.e...when you tell a customer, the reason their pc won't turn on is because its not plugged into the wall outlet.)

Let us know if you have any luck...
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back