Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do CISCO Routers Hate the COM3 Port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsynic

MIS
Jun 17, 2003
I can't HyperTerm or TeraTerm into my CISCO 802 ISDN router via my COM3 port. I have a newer PC without COM and COM2 ports. The Ethernet interface is screwy so the only option I have is to remotely access the router from another location. When the distance between the sites is 50+ miles, it becomes quite a chore to troubleshoot.

CISCO recommends these settings:

9600 baud
8 data bits
No parity
1 stop bit
No flow control

I've tried these settings on HyperTerm and TeraTerm and all I get is a blinking cursor. What's the problem?

the cisco boxes are totally transparent to that. they don't care what port you connect to them with, as long as its standard serial communications..

the problem lies with your PC, usb to serial adaptor, etc..

and you need to use a console cable..so thats not a straight nor cross, but a flat console cable.

CCNA, CCNP..partly ;)

I use the flat console cable but I still get the blinking cursor. I have confirmed that the console cable works because using the CISCO Fast Step program it sees the router. How do I get it to work?

maybe somebody else has changed these settings.
if you can get to it remotely like you said check these.
9600 baud
8 data bits
No parity
1 stop bit
No flow control

also hit the enter key a couple times when connected, try different com ports, i normally use com4.

CCNA, CCNP..partly ;)

These are newer computers that typically have one or no COM ports. I got lucky because the PCI modem had a COM port on it. I hope I can find another though. How do you check those settings once you get it remotely?

you can program the setting on line console 0

enter configuratio

Router#Config t
type line console 0 so you enter the console port

Router(config)#line console 0

Router(config-line)#

here you set the speed of the port

Router(config-line)#speed 9600
and that´s it

press control Z and log out from the router

I got it to work. I used the COM port on another PC.

>> I got lucky because the PCI modem had a COM port on it.

you need a serial port.
In MSwin these are called com1, com2, etc.

A PC internal modem includes both a com interface and a modem.

you cannot connect the modem to the Cisco router, you need to connect with a serial port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back