Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammyslinger

IS-IT--Management
Apr 11, 2003
US
I must have DNS setup wrong, my users can see website offsite but cannot see website internally, they can put the IP address in but cannot put name in. what do I need to put in my DNS server to make it work?

One thing you will need to added is forward and reverse lookup zones that way the fully qualified Domain Name will resolve back to the IP Address. For Example: Lets say that you have a website called
<Forward Lookup> => xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

<Reverse Lookup> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx =
Give this a try and tell me how it goes.

Net1Admin

I will try that, I think it will work. I was on the right track but a little unsure.

One more thing. Do I make NEW zones? Because I already have a zone in there. I should not have to make a new HOST in that zone. Just create a NEW zone with ?

thanx

If your web server is on the same network as the users then this is down to the fact that they can't connect to the web site on it's external address when on a private network. When outside the network they put in thier browsers and DNS resolves it to the external address, which works. When on the same network and DNS is resolved to the global address of the web server, they can't talk to the server on that address, only the local address.

How you deal with this depends on the firewall you are using. For example, with a PIX you can intercept the DNS replies and replace them with the private address of the web server using the 'alias' command.

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Should I use an alias in my DNS server or should I be looking at my firewall. I've got a SonicWall Pro 200. How would I do that on my firewall. Should I contact my ISP?

thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back