Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

marmar49

IS-IT--Management
Nov 22, 2002
US
I have an existing NT domain with DNS running, I am about to setup a new 2000 Server, and migrate, is there any way to copy my existing zones from my current NT DNS server to my new 2000 Server?

you can do that, but it would probably be easier to set up the new server as a secondary, let it receive zone transfers from NT4, and then convert it to primary...

So if I set up a DC to run DNS as a secondary DNS server it will pick up zones from my NT DNS?

I am reading that NT 4.0 does not support the RFC2136 for dynamic updates and so it will fail during the upgrade and ask to setup DNS wizard, then when I look at transfers it asks for another 2000 DNS server, so I am confused, it seems they want me to upgrade my NT DNS to 2000 first, can anyone confirm? thanks for any help, marmar

go to microsoft and get the active directory migration tool ! Anthony Cabanas
Long Island Networking Technologies Inc acabanas@linettech.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back