Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbrennan

MIS
Oct 3, 2000
CA
I have two windows 2000 servers

Server 1(192.168.1.2) is the DNS server for my network and is also a WINS server.

Server 2(192.168.1.5) is just a WINS server.

I can ping Server 2 from Server 1 using both the IP address and the Fully Qualified Name(FQN),ie. server1.domain.com.

I can ping Server 1 from Server 2 using the Ip address only. If I try to ping it using FQN I get an "unknown host" error.

Server 2 has the primary DNS server set to 192.168.1.2(Server 1)

I don't know why I can't ping Server 1 using FQN and this is causing problems with replication between the servers

Help!!

How many NIC's do you have installed in Server 1. If you have two NIC's and one is set to Internet Connection Sharing this may cause the problem. If this is the case disable internet connection sharing and configure the NIC's manually.
Just a thought.

BobSchleicher

I fixed it.

Server 2 had a secondary DNS pointing to our ISP DNS.

I removed this so that Server 2 only had a Primary DNS pointing to Server 1(192.168.1.2) and that seem to do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back