Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS: WWW vs no WWW in url

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2003
US
I'm receiving complaints that users can't get to company’s web site without including the "WWW" in the address. We host our own site within our DMZ. This is a W2K Active directory domain. The web domin name and the active directory domain name are the same, "domainname.com"

Actually they can get to the site without including the the url, but it's very slow to bring up the site. If they enter http:\\ the site appears instantly, if they just enter http:\\domainname.com it takes 30 seconds or more for the site to appear in their browser.

I have a host name entry for DNS in the "doaminname.com" zone that points to the address of the web server, and also a blank entry in the same zone that points to the web server, too, but when I ping "doaminname.com" it's the DNS server that replys to the ping.

I can see that if the web domain name and the AD domain name were not the same I could simply put in a DNS record for "doaminname.com" just like I did for "
So, how do I improve name resolution speed for those users who insist on dropping the WWW?

Actually, this is one of the problems with using the same name for AD and your website. When resolving the name it doesn't know whether you mean the AD name or the web name.

I don't think this can be fixed as of right now. The users may just have to type 'www' when accessing the site.

Steven S.
MCSA
A+, Network+, Server+, i-Net+, Security+

Can you put a hosts file on the users machines? I once created a shortcut on the network using a batch file that would put the hosts file on the users machine when they clicked on it. Made life simple, and this might, MIGHT, solve your'e problem. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

The solution is actually very simple. I host several domains on a Win2K box with AD and I can hit the domain name with, or without, using www.

Just go into the Adminstrative Tools and open the IIS Manager. Single right click in any open area, under IIS, and go through the procedure of creating a new website, only, instead of pluging in just put in domainname.com under the Host Header for This Site field. Finish out the "new" site then select the appropriate Default Docoument and it should run like a champ!

Try one of my sites, and you'll see. and
They should both resolve flawlessly. (^_^)

Good luck!

Hmm.. I was thinking that too but when you type in the host header name I would think that DNS would still get confused whether you mean the AD name or the website but who knows, maybe the host header name takes precedence over the AD name.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think the most likely solution would be host files on the client PCs.

If I ping the web server " the name is resolved correctly. If I ping just "domainname.com" it resolves to the domain controller. I don't think a config change on the web server would make any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back