Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS www record

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIScoord

MIS
Aug 21, 2001
US
I've been reading several threads in this forum about people having problems with DNS when they have an internal company domain (company.com) that matches their external web domain hosted by an outside provider ( Most of the time, the suggestion is made to add a in DNS that forwards those requests to external DNS servers. That's not what we do and everything seems to work fine. In fact, we removed the completely when we first set up our DNS for this very reason. Unless I'm just missing the boat, we have our DNS set up so that every unresolved name gets sent out to our external ISP's DNS servers. Now, at the time, we weren't using for our web address, but we knew we would soon, and expected it might be a problem in name resolution if we kept that record. So now if someone goes to IE and types in company.com, they get a "Page Cannot Be Displayed." But if they type in they are taken to our website hosted by an outside provider. That's why I don't understand the big deal people are making about not using the same name (i.e. company.com) for your internal domain as you do your external domain. Did we just get lucky in setting up our DNS or am I missing something in these other posts that's causing the problms? Me: We need a better backup system.
My boss's boss: Backup? We don't need no stinkin' backup!

I'm going to defer to other folks on that question. I've never attempted to make that kind of a change, and don't have a clue as to the ramifications it would have. I will say this, though -- About six months ago, we had another issue with our network that we had to consult with Microsoft on. The tech we spoke to was adamant about not making huge changes to DNS, since it's the framework that AD is built on. He was pretty forceful that we would regret it and he made a true believer out of us.

Would making this change cause your DNS to blow up? I don't know. I am pretty sure of this much, though: unless you change your domain name to internal.company.com, your internal clients are going to have a hard time finding your website using DNS. Me: We need a better backup system.
My boss's boss: Backup? We don't need no stinkin' backup!

Slow down there chawaje, don't be making any changes to your DNS zone, especially if you've got an AD domain built around it.
Now, the way I see it, you really shouldn't have a problem. Sounds like your DNS server isn't forwarding queries for COMPANY.COM to your ISP or the Root Internet Servers, which it should be doing, because it's authoritative for INTERNAL.COMPANY.COM not COMPANY.COM (unless your ISP delegated the zone to you, but you didn't say that). How do you have forwarding set up?

After reading the threads here, now i'm a bit mess. If our company website is host by ISP and we plan to setting up a internal DNS without integrate with AD. What should i named for my forward lookup zone. It is same name as what the ISP named(company.com)or should named it diffently. Thanks for ur help first.

I'm currently running DNS on win2000. The only web site I can't get to is my ISP's. I've added the ISP's IP address as a new " host under the forward look up zones. However I still can't connect to the website.
Ping to "name" returns a host unknown.
Ping to "IP address" 123.123.12.1 is successful.
Any thoughts on why I can't connect to my ISP's website?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back