Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS wont resolve 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadDog

MIS
Aug 19, 1999
US
I am trying to set up DNS Server. When I run an NSLOOKUP for the domain name telelaw.net from the command prompt to my name server locally, and to ns1.uswest.net and ns2.dnvr.uswest.net they resolve it to the correct IP of 63.224.248.114. But if I type in in a browser it gives me a dns error. What am I doing wrong? Help.

Well you would have to have the domain name routed to the external IP address in order for people outside your internal domain to resolve to your "internal" website. From your post I am not sure what exactly is on Iplanet and what is on your internal webserver? If your are hosting a site internally then you will have to make DNS entries on the public side of your firewall that directs traffic to the internal server, and open a port (80) to the internal site through the firewall (which will defeat the purpose of the firewall for the most part). Usually people put the website on the outside of the firewall since they are expecting web traffic to it. It sounds like you have an intranet that you want to post to the web? Maybe you should put the site up on Iplanet? At least the part you want to give people access to. Or, put it on the public side of your firewall.

I think the problem has resolved itself.. However, another set of problem has arised.

From public, when i ping my domain name i get "destination host unreachable."

Again from public, when i do nslookup on my <domain name> using my <name server ip> like this:

D:\>nslookup -q=any <mydomain.com> <mypublicDNS ip>
*** Can't find server name for address <mypublicDNS ip>: Non-existent domain
Server: UnKnown
Address: <mypublicDNS ip>

<mydomain name> internet address = <myDNSinternal ip>
<mydomain name> nameserver = <myname server>
<mydomain name>
primary name server = <myname server>
responsible mail addr = <email.address>
serial = 10
refresh = 3600 (1 hour)
retry = 600 (10 mins)
expire = 86400 (1 day)
default TTL = 3600 (1 hour)
<myname server> internet address = <myDNSinternal ip>

What i am trying to say above is that, the name server and domain address should have displayed the public ip address instead of my internal ip. The above queries are done externally.

What is your domain name, IP address, and nameserver names that we are working with? Are you running the nameserver yourself? I would like to see if:
1) The root nameservers resolve your domainname to your nameserver;
2) How does your name server resolve the query for your domain name;

Number 2, you are still not clear as to how you are hosting your site? Is Iplanet hosting your site, or the DNS, or what? Which web server (software) are you running?

I assume you have registered the domain name and pointed the domain to your name server? What nameserver software are you running? Did you make the DNS entries yourself? Please copy the zone file and post it here so we can see what is going on with that.

Do you have static IP addresses assigned to you?

You'll need to answer all these questions in order for me to help you.

In thinking through this I really don't see how you are going to put your webserver on an internal IP address. Usually you put it outside the firewall, and then link the site to internal resources through the webserver, not DNS. DNS just points to the public (external) resources. What is the public resource that the root nameservers point to?

Orionsong,

Your nslookup on an external client will not resolve to anything unless you have the domain name registered and an A record entered in your ISP DNS associating the domain to a public IP.

Your public IP could be the external IP of you firewall. You then need to open port 80 for the traffic and add a route in the firewall from your external IP to the internal IP for you webserver. I have done this several times and it works just great. &quot;Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.&quot;
Arthur C. Clarke

Mike
MCSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back