Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS wont resolve 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadDog

MIS
Aug 19, 1999
US
I am trying to set up DNS Server. When I run an NSLOOKUP for the domain name telelaw.net from the command prompt to my name server locally, and to ns1.uswest.net and ns2.dnvr.uswest.net they resolve it to the correct IP of 63.224.248.114. But if I type in in a browser it gives me a dns error. What am I doing wrong? Help.

I have telelaw.net set up for the IP address 63.224.248.114 in IIS 4.0. If you type in the IP address into your browser it brings up the Telelaw page (test page). I have a zone file for telelaw.net in DNS, which contains an A record pointing to the same IP address. What else do I need to do to have a "true virtual domaain." Thanks a lot for your response and continued support.

For one thing, you have to have separate DNS servers, on the OUTSIDE of the network if you wish the domain to be seen on the network (ie, SEPARATE NameServer address IP's)<br>
<br>
I'm wondering can you send me a copy of your DNS files? I'm wondering if the files are setup wrong. My e-mail address is jsauce@net1plus.com<br>
I will take a look at them and make any changes if necessary. Zip them please.

I just did a whois on your domain name. The two authoritative name servers for your domain are:<br>
<br>
NS.DIGEX.NET 164.109.1.3<br>
NS2.DIGEX.NET 164.109.10.23<br>
<br>
I assume this is your internet provider, I'm wondering why you do not simply ask your ISP to setup the DNS entrys to point the domain to your IP.<br>
You can still host the domain. It would be alot easier than trying to setup a dns server, especially since you need to servers, a primary and secondary.<br>

I just did a whois on your domain name. The two authoritative name servers for your domain are:<br>
<br>
NS.DIGEX.NET 164.109.1.3<br>
NS2.DIGEX.NET 164.109.10.23<br>
<br>
I assume this is your internet provider, I'm wondering why you do not simply ask your ISP to setup the DNS entrys to point the domain to your IP.<br>
You can still host the domain. It would be alot easier than trying to setup a dns server, especially since you need two servers, a primary and secondary.<br>

The two name servers you pulled up are for telelaw.com. I am telelaw.net and have my local DNS server listed (NS1.JOHNRAZOR.COM)as well as two for my ISP (NS1.USWEST.NET) and (NS2.DNVR.USWEST.NET). The problem is my ISP is US West and they will only allow me to host one domain. In other words, they refuse to map other domains to my site via their dns server. I will email you the DNS files, and I truly do appreciate your help. Thanks. P.S. Per your recommendation I am reading DNS for Windows NT and am getting a little better handle on it, it's still rather confusing with multiple domains though. None of the literature covers that topic much. (which makes your help double appreciated)

You might want to consider looking at the public bind port for windows NT (free from It is setup like a unix named and is much easier to deal with multiple domains (at least I think so).

I have to agree BIND might be the easiest to run. Since it does most of the configuring itself, it might be a good idea.

Hey, I think I have it working now! Thanks for all you input. I wish I knew how to host virtual domains without tying up one Static IP for each domain. Is there any way to have DNS return an IP and port number? I read somewhere that that technology is not available yet. Does anyone know differently? Thanks for the help? JR

Virtual Servers take advantage of this by hosting the single IP address then, put the domains in completely seperate directories.<br>
<br>
thus: can be hosted to a directory like ../htdocs<br>
then can be hosted to a directory like ../htdocs2<br>
then can be hosted to a directory like ../htdocs3<br>
<br>
Okay now I am not an expert in IIS 4 whatsoever, so please if this is wrong I am sorry about this. What you are suggesting is not only possible it is done all the time, and it is the premise of Virtual Hosting.<br>
<br>
You have to have IIS4 installed on an NT SERVER. You will need to go to the Microsoft Management Console. Go into Console then Root, then Internet Information Server, then Computer name. Right Click on computer name, go down to new website, I believe it starts a wizard. Where it asks the IP, leave default, or all unassigned. When it is created, Right Click on the new website you created and click properties, on the properties page, find the advanced button, press that. Highlight the identity(your domain) and click edit. Under Host header address, you right click then NEW SITE. from In there you can setup the IP on TCP/IP port 80, with a home directory consisting of either the same directory or a seperate directory, which is what you need to host different sites on the same IP, because you then assign to (for example 90.0.0.1) in a directory of /home/htdocs1 then host to the /home/htdocs2<br>
But if you wanted to save yourself some money you could then map for instance a sub domain to the original like subdomain.yourname.com to /home/htdocs3<br>
<br>
This information was provided by a friend of mine over the phone so I hope it is fairly accurate. As I said I am not an expert in IIS4.<br>

The only problem that I had discovered is that older browsers like the 1.x browsers will not see the host headers correctly, which will cause a problem with finding the site. Wouldn't worry about it though, pretty much everyone uses the new browsers today

Jsauce,<br>
I use IIS4 at home with the host header name option. I made the default page a warning page since if the host header can't be used by the browser, it will return IIS's default page. Try it out, first go to <br>
then try something like mail.warcorp.com<br>
<br>
-War

Hey War - great site. How can I get your "Don't click here" nooo.asp onto my site??<br>
<br>
It'll freak out my users!!!!<br>
<br>
Zel :)

Warcorp nice script. I can see what you are doing with the host header thing. I agree, very useful. I still think it is not absolutely needed. I think if someone is using a very old browser than they are not experiencing the internet the way it was designed anyhow and should probably drop using it at all.

Dear Baddog,
I have exactly the same problem as you mentioned on the topmost mail, whereby when i key in on an external browser i get an error. Could you kindly repeat how you managed to solve this?

If you have exactly the same problem as I listed at the top then your DNS entries are correct and your problem is at your web server. Are you running your own web server, or is your site hosted by someone else? If you are running you own web server is it on IIS 4.0? If so, make sure you set the IP address and host headers correctly. Let me know your answers to all this and I will try to help you throught the problem.

Many thanks baddog. I am running my own webserver behind a firewall. The webserver is on Iplanet. One thing though, internally, a client can resolve to the url alright. However, it is externally that can't do an &quot;nslookup -q=any mydomain.com <<mypublic dns ip>>&quot; or go to the &quot; url. I am testing the firewall now and also looking for other possibilities..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back