Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS won't resolve www.msn.com!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richardkl

Technical User
Dec 8, 2001
US
Runinng a nt4 server with dns. I have people wanting to goto to the nt4 dns won't resolve it. If I try to ping from the server I get "bad ip address" returned.Using tracert I get "unable to resolve target system name all other sites have no problems.

any ideas?

Yes, nt4, I have 2000 and 2003 servers setup and other than this dns problem I find it the fastest and most reliable of all.(on same hardware). After 10 years of service and total down time in the minutes it can't be beat. Again any ideas about the reason of only Microsoft sites not being able to be resolved with DNS?

NT4 is still very reliable, the only problem is it's not been updated by MS as far as networking goes. You might have to put into the NT Server's hosts file.
look ... found
Name : us.port.msn.com.nsatc.net (.NET | Network)
Aliases : (.COM | US Commercial)
Address : 65.54.152.126
Here's from some IP tools I've got.
Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
[americanflag]
Support our Troops!

Sounds like the DNS server doesn't have a proper forwarder record to point it to the public dns. Or has a bad entry for msn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back