Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS with no AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveyBoyRules

IS-IT--Management
Jul 5, 2001
GB
Hi there,
I am running a Windows 2000 server without AD, just using it as a file server.

I connect to the internet through a router via ADSL.

On the router I have it talking to NO-IP to update my dynamic IP address.

All the clients connect to the router, 192.168.1.1 for the gateway, I have also set them to get DNS from the router as well.

I also VPN in to the router to browse the network.

The server is looking at it's self for DNS, did it this way as I was unable to browse the network without it set this way.

Is this all ok or do I need to run DNS onthe file server?

Many thanks,
Dave....

Hi there,
thanks for that reply, most usful.

I have now decided to go the whole hog and install AD, my server has two Nic's in it and I belive that only one should have the gateway registered with it....

Nic one is:
IP 192.168.1.2 This is the Nic registered with DNS
DNS 192.168.1.2

Nic two is:
IP 192.168.1.3
DNS 192.168.1.2
Gway 192.168.1.1. (this is the router)

Should the gateway be on the primary DNS nic as registered with dns setup or should it be on the nic two just for internet access?

Many thanks,
Dave....

If you already have a router, you don't need multihomed server. also it is not recommended to setup DNS on multihomed DC. quoted form
It is not recommended to setup DNS on multihomed DC.
Dual home DCs, especially if it's a DNS server, are not recommended, as you are experiencing. The dual entries in DNS cause lookup problems for domain enumeration. IF a client gets the outside IP address of the DC, (due to Round Robin), they won't be able to communicate with the DC.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network and How to at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back