Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS to redirect URL

Status
Not open for further replies.

snootalope

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
Anyone know a way to redirect a url using dns?

I've got a deal here where I need to redirect host.ourdomain.com to sites.google.com/oursite

I've done some less complicated redirects using cnames before, like host.ourdomain.com -> host.theirdomain.com but I'm not sure on this one beings I need to drill down further in the redirected url (/oursite/yada/yada). I've been messing with this for a bit now but it's not looking promising..

I don't believe you can do what you want the the way you want. DNS converts name to IP. I would make a 1 page site for host.ourdomain.com that redirects to sites.google.com/oursite.

Hope this helps.

I am not sure that this will help you but I am going to give it a shot. I ran into a similar issue at work and we were able to solve it by creating a new Forward Lookup Zone then manually creating the new record (Both A and Cname). It is a slightly messy way to do it however it was the only way we were able to get it work.

Hope this is helpful to you =).

did you get this worked out?

do you host the original site localy or is it hosted?

depending on the answer you have several options on how to get this working the way you want.

Steve Bowman
Independent Technology, Inc.
CA, USA

Howler, not a bad idea... I might play with this a bit.

Steve, nothing worked out yet. The site is not local, it's actually a google site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back