Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dns to my server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistergibblets

Technical User
Oct 16, 2003
US
Ok, this may be a stupid question......I registered my domain name with godaddy.com and it is parked at their nameservers. My question is, how does the nameserver know to point to my server? I am runnibg my own from my home.

Thanks in advance
Joe

Not sure I fully understand, but godaddy.com will resolve your domain name to external clients sending DNS queries for it and that's how they will point to your server ... Does this make any sense???

Jose Luis Martin Cenjor, CCNA, CCNP
HP Global Technology Solutions

Yes it does, but how does the nameserver know to go to my ip? Where do I set that up?

Are you wanting to set your server up as a nameserver? If so its not advised todo so on a home connection as they tend not to be stable. If you just want to setup to point to your server then you will need to set up a pointer A HOST record on the DNS to point at your IP. I dont know how godaddy.com have setup their DNS to work so giving you all information on how todo it is limited.

I dont know how godaddy's DNS service works either, what I did was use zone edit for my DNS servers, they let you go in and edit where stuff gets pointed to. Let me know if you need help with that. It's pretty easy to do.

Scott Heath
AIM: orange7288

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back