Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS SRV Information 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

napoleao

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2002
PT
For some reason my DNS server looses the information that is stored under the _msdcs and _sites and so on.
Because of that I always have to go to each DC command prompt and type "netdiag /fix" so the information is added to the DNS server, but after a while it dissapears again.
Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Make sure the DNS server is configured with static ip addresses and the forward zone is the same name as the AD domain name.

Yes, the server has a static IP, all our network use static IP. The active directory has the same name has the foward zone.

Can you be more specific about what is happening? Are the entire _msdcs, _sites, etc folders disappearing? Or just certain records within those folders?

It sounds like your DNS server is not on a DC. Are you using third party (non-MS) DNS? If so, what? How many DCs do you have?

I am also having this problem on 2003 SBS. It was demoted from a domain controller and then re-promoted. Now all the folders under _msdcs as well as the domain forward zone are missing. Netdiag /fix didn't do anything for me. I have checked all the .dns files and the references are there.

I'm at quite a loss and since this is an OEM product, I would have to pay per incident with MS to get their assistance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have to get Exchange set up and can't continue until DNS is squared away.

Thanks in advance!
Aslan111

Is the server pointing to itself as a primary DNS server? Are there any alternate DNS servers configured in the TCP/IP properties? Is the DHCP client service started on the SBS server? Are dynamic updates enabled on the forward lookup zone?

Also, how do you demote an SBS 2003 server? I'm not real familiar with the product, but I didn't think it allowed you to do that.

Hi mlichstein,

It is true that SBS 2003 doesn't want to be demoted, but it will allow you to do it. Unfortunately, it won't continue to stay up if it's not a DC and will shut down after 2 hours.

I believe that I discovered part of the problem. I think that I may have made a bit of a mess out of this server during installation. Originally, I installed the server with one domain name, then an executive decision was made to shorten the agency's domain name, so I shortened the AD domain name in kind when I re-promoted the server to a DC. There is still information in the AD partition pointing to the old domain name and this is evidenced in netdiag.

In answer to your questions:

Yes, it is pointing to itself as the primary DNS server.
Alternate DNS is pointing to external ISP DNS servers.
Yes, DHCP client service is running.
Yes, dynamic updates are enabled on the forward lookup zone.

If you have any ideas on how I can clean up the AD partition (perhaps with ADSI Edit?) without nuking the server and starting over I would be very grateful.

Thanks for your reply.

Aslan111

Take out the ISP as an alternate. After you do that, do an ipconfig /flushdns, then ipconfig /registerdns and then stop and start the netlogon service.

Thank you mlichstein, I do believe you saved my rear on that one. It appears to have worked.

Do you suggest configuring DNS to forward lookups to the ISP DNS'?

Thank you again,
Aslan111

You can do that, but it's up to you. It technically shouldn't be necessary, since the server should have the root hints that it needs. But either way (root hints or forwarders) will work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back