Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormfront26

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
US
Hey All,

I'm pretty sure someone out there has an answer to this question so here goes....I'm doing an in-place upgrade from Win NT 4.0 domain to W2K3 AD domain. In my domain I'll have 3 DCs. Is it better, in terms of DNS setup, to use Active Directory integrated on the DCs, or have 2 as a standard primary and one standard secondary or what? Any suggestions on the best setup for DNS? We've got around 300 users if that info helps. Thanks everyone.

It is always better, imho, to use AD int if you can. It is the only way that you can enforce secure dynamic updates, which will save you serious time in troubleshooting if you use DHCP. Also, in 2k3, you can choose which AD partition you would like to store the DNS database in, which allows you to control how it is replicated in terms of Domain vs. Forest. It's just a lot easier to manage when DNS is AD integrated.

Thanks TJ01,

So you think that all 3 DCs should be AD integrated?

Certianly. To clarify, you only declare a zone as AD int once. Then, depending on how you configure replication, all you need to do is install DNS on a DC and it will automagically load the zone from AD. It's not the DC thats configured to be AD int, its the zone file itself.

Ahh..now I see said the blind man. I've been reading quite a few different resources online, would you suggest setting up DNS before runnig dcpromo or just start the AD wizrd and configure DNS from there?

I always like to set it myself. DCPromo does a good job, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Just remember to set the DNS suffix and point the box to itself for DNS before running DCPromo. Set the zone for "AD integrated" and "Secure Updates Only" after DCPromo.

A+, N+, MCSA:Messaging, MCSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back