Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dns setup to eliminate using www

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcljohn

Programmer
Aug 16, 2002
US
I am new to DNS and want to configure dns to find web sites using domain.com verses using
I have Advanced server 2000, IIS and DNS loaded on the server.

If anyone knows of a quick start guide that I can access or download off the web, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You lost me ? You mean your site ? You want to access your site doing say domain.com instead of ?

Let me know

CNE, MCSE, SCSA, CLS, CCSA, CCSE, CCNA, CCNP, MCNS, IP Telephony, CVoice, CSS1, CCIE and CISSP(prog)

Noble Computing, Inc.
Consulting
kshaffer@noblecomputing.com

I just tested several, and see no reason you need www. Try typing in help.com in a browser and see what happens. You might be surprised. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Study not to know more, but better."
Lucius Annaeus Seneca (2 BC-65AD); Roman philosopher.

In order to use domain.com without using the you need to create an A record for domain.com. In the example of help.com, if you look up the domain you will see ...

help.com. 300 A 206.16.0.148

... as well as ..

300 CNAME abv-sfo1-redirect.cnet.com
abv-sfo1-redirect.cnet.com. 300 A 206.16.0.148

This means that both and help.com resolve to the same IP address. Of course, the server on that address will need a virtual for both those names in order to serve the page.

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back