Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Settings Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

blend222

Programmer
Jan 21, 2010
US
I am trying to set up a E-Mail Server and are running into a bit of a problem with : A, Cnames, MX settings.

Unfourtunatly stupid godaddy.com will offer no help whatsoever, they explain for 10 minutes why they wont help me when they could have fixed the problem in 1 min... very pathetic

Are getting all kinds of errors trying to send/recieve mail.

frostcity.com is the domain name
173.8.45.243 is the static public ip that is connected to my mail server
Could somebody please take a look at the settings i have and tell me what i need to have where?

I changed some of the Cnames from the default godaddy(secureserver.net) to my domain name frostcity.com dunno if thats correct tho.

I took a pic of the settings page, its here:

Please Help

Man, you have a lot of stuff there. You need to create a host (A record) for mail.frostcity.com that resolves to the
173.8.45.243 ip address. Then create create a MX record with priority of 10 that points to the A record you just created called mail.frostcity.com

You don't need multiple MX records unless you have multiple email servers/gateways. All of your aliases (CNAME records) for you mail gateway will then point to your host (A record) of mail.frostcity.com

So for example, under CNAME your host of smtp (I'm assuming you don't have to provide the full name of smtp.frostcity.com) would point to mail.frostcity.com, imap would point to mail.frostcity.com, and so on.

I got the recieving pop3 port 110 part working now, thanks.

The sending part isnt working though, the smtp port 25

I updated the pic of what i did at the URL:

I dont full understand what your are saying, 1st time dealing with this stuff.

What do i need to do now to get the smtp part working?

So your 173.8.45.243 is your companies web server,email server, ftp server, etc...? Because that's what your telling it by having a single host record of anything going to frostcity.com goes to 173.8.45.243

Your aliases are pointing to hosts that you have not defined. Under CNAMES you have host imap that points to imap.frostcity.com; yet I don't see a A record you have created for imap.frostcity.com (and then it really wouldn't be an alias if you named it the same). Please re-read my post.

Also, your mail server sending mail out on port 25 has nothing to do with your Godaddy DNS records.

The MX record at Godaddy is just how people are able to send you mail.

The only CNAME (alias) records I find correct are for your ftp since you only have the one A record "@"

173.8.45.243 is Only a email server, nothing else, so your saying that under CNAMES, i can just go ahead and delete the
Hosts 'www' and 'ftp' ?
i am working with what was originally there from godaddy, i prob. should have just deleted everything and started from scratch...

this would be correct then?
--------------------------------------------
A Host 'mail' Points to '173.8.45.243

CNAMES

Host 'email' points to 'mail.frostcity.com'
Host 'smtp' points to 'mail.frostcity.com'
Host 'imap' points to 'mail.frostcity.com'
Host 'pop' points to 'mail.frostcity.com'

MX 10 @ mail.frostcity.com

TXT @ v=spf1 a mx ptr mx:mail.frostcity.com ~all
---------------------------------------------

so there is no need for any other mx records such as a smtp one, caz u said the DNS Records have nothing at all to do with sending of email from my server.

one weird thing i am seeing is that everybody elses A Host is like this : 'frostcity.com' Points to '173.8.45.243'

i can only manage to get the A Host to 'mail' by deleting
Host 'mail' under CNAMES , when i try to add a A Host of frostcity.com or mail.frostcity.com it gives a Error Message

Perhaps i really do need to just delete everything and start from scratch.

with these setings for some reason i cannot sent email to gmail, it never gets there.

it sends fine to hushmail.com

has something to do with 'smtp' ?

Sounds like a dns issue. Particulary sounds like it is failing reverse lookup. Go to mxtoolbox.com and select diagnostics. See what it reports back to you.

Network+ Inet+ MCP MCSA 2k3

Like NetworkTek mentioned, more than likely a reverse DNS issue there. You will find most companies do reverse DNS lookups to validate mail coming from you is legitimate. So when they receive mail from mail.skullcentral.com (or whatever name your server reports), it of course resolves to an IP address. That receiving company will in turn do a reverse lookup of that IP address and see what name comes back. Unless you have gotten with your ISP (as you see I did not say GoDaddy as this is not their problem... your ISP owns the IP address they are letting you use) and asked them to change their DNS record for that IP address to mail.skullcentral.com (or again, whatever name is coming from your server to the Internet) then the names won't match and the receiving company will drop it as SPAM.

I think cajuntank is correct. I remember reading when I signed up for my DynDNS account that it had a comment about email that went something like this: due to the prevalence of spam, most (recipient) email providers will automatically reject email from an IP address that is classified as being a dynamic IP. In order to get your email accepted you need to be placed on a white list of known recipients. Unfortunately, the mapping for the known recipients will only work with a static IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back