Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dns settings and firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

impulse24

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2001
US
Hi,

I have a Windows 2000 Server configured as the DHCP with Active Directory enabled, using TCP/IP as the only network protocol. I have the Win 2000 server DHCP settings providing all clients with an IP Address, default gateway, and address to 2 external DNS Servers at my ISP. All win9x clients have no problem seeing the server, and also getting on the internet. All Win2000 clients can get on the internet, and are also assigned ip addresses, however they are unable to see the server/login to the domain.

If I go into a Win2000 client, and set the prefferred DNS server to the address of the Win2000 server(and leave the secondary dns addresses to the ISP servers, I then see the win2000 server, but am unable to get on the internet.

What am I doing wrong..please help..thanks

Set the DNS for the Server, and DHCP to your server's private network IP. Then make sure you have the DNS service installed [Add/Remove Progs, Add/Remove Windows Components, Networking Services, Domain Name System (DNS)].

Once this is installed, your server will become the DNS server for your private network, not the ISP. You also need this configuration to add any Win2k workstation to the domain, or modify local security since you need to access the Active Directory to do so.

Also make sure your passing the router/gateway address in DHCP, and have same gateway set in the server's networking properties.

Hope this helps.

On your DNS server, there is a setting for forwarders. Any client that cannot resolve an address from the dns server will automatically then use the forwarder address you set in DNS (ie your isps dns settings)

I am having a similiar problem, although I am not using DHCP. I have an internal DNS server set up (for use with Active Directory). I also have a firewall to my ISP. I am trying to connect to the internet on the 2000 server computer.

I specified the IP and the gateway to the firewall, and under DNS server I'm not sure what to try. Entering the ISP's DNS servers works, but 'netdiag /test:dns' fails to resolve the DNS. Using the internal DNS address cuts off the internet access, but netdiag resolves successfully. How can I enable both to work?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back