Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Setting in Group Policy not changing. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NerdyOne

MIS
Oct 16, 2001
US
I created a group policy that sets the DNS settings for our computers. The GP is attached to the OU "Contoso Computers". The policy has been applied and verified using the gpresult.exe command. Even my clients registry shows the correct (and new GP) settings.

Now comes the funky part. If you look at the TCP/IP settings on my only NIC, the primary and secondary DNS servers are still using the old IPs. When I run ipconfig /all; the same (old) settings are showing up. What gives?

The Titanic was built by engineers. The Ark was built by an amateur.

The DNS settings for your TCP/IP are usually set by DHCP - I've never heard of this being done using group policy.

Check your DHCP server - this should be where your clients are getting their DNS settings, not from GP.

Good luck,

I found a solution using a startup script and the netsh command to set the ip address for my "Local Area Connection".

This is a handy tool for networks, like ours, who do NOT use DHCP.

Awesome, thanks! :)

Also, I'd like to report that the script ran perfectly. Now, we're able to power down our primary DNS server and know that our secondary will answer DNS requests!

Can I just ask why you don't use DHCP? I mean it's centrally managed and makes changes far easier.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

We're a small shop that grew from just a couple of computers. That's the main reason why.

Also, we started using SMS for remote control puproses, and if we had to change an IP address, then the client wouldn't update quick enough for SMS to recognize the change.

Now, I'm TOLD, that the new version of SMS (SCCM 2007) does't use IP addresses, but rather a Unique ID. We'll be testing that later this month when we test our new DHCP server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back