Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS SERVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

rutcgr18

Technical User
Mar 12, 2003
US
ok guys here it is i dont know if i will explain this right but iwill try. ok i have a network at my house and i am running a domain controler. windows 2000 server is he controler. now my server crashed and i had to reload. well before that happend i have a dns server running cause i used to have one of those free domain (ruotolo.d2g.com) and what happened is that wanted you to pay so i got rid of it. So evey time i would log on to my server it would take for ever cause it was trying to vlalidate me with the domain. so anyways my buddy told me to set up a dummy dns server on my server. so the computer would validate with the server not out on the web. so that worked. well now that i have reloaded the server i decied to change the domain to the one i have recently purchaced (mruotolo.com) now when my mahines connect it takes a bit to log on so i am thinking of setting up a dummy dns server again. i have tried and it does not work not sure what i am doing wrong or what. well any help would be apreciated
thanks
mike

The only thing i could think of is to reconfigure DNS on the server..its a simple as that :)

For the domain you have purchased, the ISP is most likely only holding host records which will resolve your domain name to your IP on the internet and not actually hosting your domain zone. You will need an in house DNS to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back