Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Server Use order

Status
Not open for further replies.

chosen1

MIS
Sep 16, 2002
US
My users need to have these 3 DNS entries in their Win2k client setup, exactly in this order. For example:

A
B
C

A and B are identical to each other.
C is in a different region.

These DNS servers are maintained by 2 different data centers.

I don't have any authority over them.

The problem is:

1 - "A&B" are able to resolve internet/intranet requests properly but cannot resolve "*.session.rservices.com"

2 - "C" can resolve "*.session.rservices.com" but internet/intranet stuff is resolving to the wrong location(NAT Address) and thus won't work.

My users need "C" to resolve "*.session.rservices.com" requests because of an app they need. So when all 3 DNS entries are in the client setup, everything works 85% of the time.

The other 15% of time Intranet/Internet access is intermittent. Seems that those requests sometimes use the DNS "C" to resolve and it fails. Likewise requests for "*.session.rservices.com" work mostly but there is a chance it won't work as it might use A&B to resolve.

Is there a way I can somehow prioritize the DNS search usage in Win2kPro? For example to force requests for "*.session.rservices.com" to only use DNS "C" and never A/B?

Thanks for any insight into this
-Phil

Is there a way I can somehow prioritize the DNS search usage in Win2kPro? For example to force requests for "*.session.rservices.com" to only use DNS "C" and never A/B?
If you only want a certain group of users to use only "C", then don't put A & B in there network settings. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin check out Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago

Wish it was that easy but...
A&B are needed in their network settings otherwise the users can't get internet/intranet

chosen1
Create a sub-zone in A&B for "*.session.rservices.com" and set them as forwarders to C. That way whenever you have a client in A&B's DNS region requesting "*.session.rservices.com" resolution, A&B will forward that query to C regardless. Good luck!

Jose Luis Martin Cenjor, CCNA, CCNP
HP Managed Services - WAN

Alternatively you can use a hosts file, you can add it to their login scripts.

PC will resolve hosts (and LMHOSTS) first before they will look for DNS (or WINS).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back