Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS server speed test? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsterkel

MIS
Oct 2, 2002
US
My broadband provider has provided a list of DNS servers, but they all seem extremely SLOW. I have a backup Internet connection, so I tried their DNS server, and it seems much faster.

This assessment of speed is based on my perception and the amount of complaints I receive.

Is there a way to test the response time of a DNS server? I know it's possible if you have the right tools on Unix, but I only have Windows.

Any suggestions?

If you have the list- I presume you have all the IP addresses - you can ping them from the dos box - that will give you the response times and then you can compare them.

Kim Leece.

Thanks, Kim.

Does this only test the route to the server, or does it also indicate how heavily loaded the server is?

I thought that this only tested the path to the DNS server, not the DNS server itself. For instance, I didnt think this would be helpful if the DNS server had a slow response due to it being used by too many people, or any other performance problems.

I appreciate the information - Ill try it and see what happens.

A ping measures the round trip time of a small packet of data - so I suppose that would have to also measure the response time of the server being pinged as the server has to send the packet back - if it is heavily loaded then it will take longer for the request to be sent - it also measures the path of course - but in the end isn't this what you need to know? - the total time?

Kim Leece.

seems like mitch gave you the answers.

however if your different dns numbers act a whole lot differently maybe you should contact your isp. that would help alot more than yourself being that we all use the same what.....13 of them?

run a tracert to your numbers though DOS and see if any of the hops are timeing out. they shouldn't be at all and if so that would be the problem that would need to be fixed for the good of "the internet"

Ivan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back