Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Server settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevsel

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2002
GB
Hi, Is it possible to backup the DNS settings on a Windows 2K3 server. I have got to rebuild the Server and it took long enough to get it working in the first place

Depends on what type of dns server it is...

in both cases, you do a backup of system state and it will save these settings too.

if not an AD integrated zone, you can backup your zone files as they are just text files, this will not save all the dns server settings though. If AD integrated, the data is saved with a system state backup as it is part of AD.

system state is the only way to backup server data

Aftertaf

"Solutions are not the answer." - Richard Nixon

Aftertaf

Thanks for taking the time to answer this, What I am trying to do is this: Backup the DNS and AD settings on my Server 2003 Enterprise edition and restore once the Server has been rebuilt. I am using the DNS and AD all on the 1 machine

kevsel

what type of rebuild are you doing??

best bet is a system state backup, but depends if it backs up soething you are trying to get rid of with the rebuild

Aftertaf

as for actual setup of your 2003 AD with DNS, its much the same as 2000. There are certain new functions added, but the main part is the same.

You plan to have more servers, or are you going to stay with one DC with DNS...

if your budget allows you, better having two for replication & fault tolerance...

Aftertaf

Aftertaf

Just going to stay with the 1 server. Using mirroring and also
tape backup so should negate the need for a second server. Money is not always available to do the things you want

kevsel

hehe...
know the feeling.

Aftertaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back