Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Server Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

debbiezzzzz

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2007
US
Hello,

We have a setup where 3 of our servers are also DC's. The PDC is a Windows 2000 box, the other two DC's are Server 2003 boxes. All servers run DNS, and it's replicated to the DC's from the PDC. The PDC also runs DHCP and doles out IP addresses to the workstations on the network. This includes letting the stations know where to look for DNS information. (PDC first, the DC's second and third)

All runs fine unless the PDC is down. In this case most (but not all) of the workstations cannot browse the internet, nor can they connect to the exchange server from outlook. Everything else runs fine.

It appears part of the DNS duties are not being taken over by the other DNS servers? Can anyone tell me what I should be lookin at in the DNS server software?

Thank You,

D

First...no such thing as a PDC anymore...long gone.

In your DHCP scope, are you handing out multiple DNS server info, or just your main server IP? Also, make sure at least one of your other DC's is also a GC in addition to your first one.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

There are no more PDC's! There are DC's with FSMO roles!

Yea, I'm stuck on old terms, LOL. Yes, it hands out all 3 DNS servers. Going to sound dumb here, but.... What is GC?

You should also be using AD integrated DNS zones if possible. Upgrade that 2000 DC and bring your domain up a level.
AD integrated DNS:

Raising a domain level:
anotehr example with pics!

FSMO ROLES: (explains PDC emulator role and the 4 others.)

Thanks for all the tips. We do realize we should upgrade the AD to 2003. Unfortunately, that means upgrading the two 2000 servers to Server 2003. Not going to happen as they are being cycled out next year. (Hopefully)

I thought about demoting them, but was a bit chicken to pull that trigger.

no problem...you can still use AD Integrated DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back