Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS server Opendns vs Speedtest results

Status
Not open for further replies.

protocoder

IS-IT--Management
May 25, 2005
NZ
Hi Experts,
Please can I get the help in the following clarifications
1. What is the difference between DNS server configured in the router and DNS configured in the computers connected to that router.
1.b Why should there be a need of two parameters if all the traffic from the computer goes out via the router.
1.c What happens if the DNS configured in the system is different to the DNS configured on the router.
1.d. If the laptop requires public hotspot access, libraries wifi, is it good to have DNS automatically configured.

2. I have run namebech and DNS benchmar tests which did not show up Open DNS any where in the list of top 10 DNS resolver list, not even google dns server. Does it mean I need to make a choice between speed of the recommended DNS server and safety of opendns servers ...

Sorry I am just beginning to understand these terms.

Thanks in Advance

1. If you're talking about a home router that provides DHCP, the router's DNS server is probably given to the clients.
1b. If you manually configure the resolver in the client, the router's DNS configuration is irrelevent.
1c. Ultimately, only the DNS server configured on the client is used.
1d. I would suggest that, yes.

2. I don't know. Use what works. I have my DNS server forward to Google, and it works fine. I never compared public DNS servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back