Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dns server errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbuddy

Technical User
Aug 1, 2003
I have a small network 2000 server sp4, 20 users using xp-pro, all using static ip's. box is dual 933 intels with 1024 ram and dual intel nic setup in a team using static ip for the 2000 box.I have active directory running and don't really use dns except for the isp. machine runs great I just get event logs that no dns server exist.

1. currently i have the primary dns set to the gateway (router) which does nothing (no a dns server) and the secondary to the isp.

note: this works well except for the event logs giving no dns errors.

2. when i set the primary dns to the 2000 box ip address
and the secondary to the isp. i loose internet connections.

3. also have wins pointing to the 2000 box. again all works but i'm questioning my setup.

what am i missing or what should i change.

I believe that dns should point to itself PRIMARY and SECONDARY to the isp. dcdiag shows that the ip address cannont resolve the server name BUT does show the isp address.

thanks
any thoughts.

Hi,
AD won't work without DNS.
Configure DNS on your DC,and then set forwarder to your ISP.
Set your clients & server to use internal DNS.

Setup DNS on your DC, and change the setting in tcp/ip properties, so that it points to itself, and make sure you have a static ip on the DC.
You can setup a forwarder, if you need one, in DNS, but with root hints, you should be fine.
Then point all workstations DNS to the static ip of the DC.
All DNS errors should subside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back