Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS server errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwrrpdc

MIS
Sep 18, 2002
US
I have created an off-site copy of our two domain controllers for Disaster purposes. I have successfully restored, and got the 2 servers to talk to each other. My problem now is getting Xp workstations to use this configuration. I can see the 2 servers thru the network, but cannot do anything with them. When I do try I get an error telling me the domain cannot be contacted. I get the following error;
"The operation returned because the timeout period expired"
(error code 0x000005b4 ERROR_TIMEOUT)

I only have one DNS Server ..one of my thoughts would to be setup a DNS server on other server. Any pointer appreciated...
Paul

When you say you've restored 2 servers, are they same as the production?i.e. Name, role, etc.Does any of them have DNS installed? Also how do you see the offsite servers from your original site? how are you getting clients to use this configuration? If you're running same DC names + configuration in two different locations and the network permits traffic between them I would be a bit carefull since clients may be getting confused as to which server is responsible for AD activities and this may cause database corruption. For disaster recovery, I would suggest creating two AD sites and have 2 servers offsite as member DC + GC + DNS. You may also fine tune replication schedule and other things. This way you'll have 4 DCs - 2 in Production and 2 at offsite location and scheduled replication between them will make sure offsite DCs are always available to service clients. In case of a disaster, all you'll have to do is transfer/seize the AD roles and you'll have your AD running without any disruptions to your users. hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back